anyone own an akai mpk49?

- ask away
sinistral
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

anyone own an akai mpk49?

Post by sinistral »

ive been playin around with my friend's remote sl. now, it is a cool controller but the big selling point is the universal mapping wich wasnt workin the way i expected or liked. i ended up mappin it my own way.

the x y controller was awful, maybe it was damaged.. but the one i tried was bad and wasnt even mapped properly. (yes firmware was updated).

anyways, i was interested maybe in the akai mpk49, i like the built in arpeggiator. it think that makes things easier than using ableton's arp.

the only minus for me is that i already own an mpd24 so i dont really need those 12 pads.

i was wondering if anyone had experience with and how felt, and if they used it for production purposes.
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

the MPK is a absolutely solid controller keyboard, typical Akai quality product.

I just tested it for a few minutes at a local Shop and it felt very robust, the keys have a very good feel, aswell as the faders and rotarys... just like your MPD.
The pads arent as good as on the MPD, they felt much stiffer then on the padcontrol units, but maybe it gets better after you use them a while, the unit was brandnew so i cant tell anything about longterm use...

After all i decided to go for a Remote SL 25 Compact, because i liked the Automap System, the Big Display and most important for me, its size. The Akai is just to big for my studio desk and isnt that portable if you ask me.

But if space and portability isnt a issue for you, the MPK is a very good choice imho. :)
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
sinistral
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sinistral »

thanks, very appreciated,
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

I am actually not to big a fan of midi appregiators... infact i hate them
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

:roll:

great statement !
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

fragment wrote:the MPK is a absolutely solid controller keyboard, typical Akai quality product.
I just tested it for a few minutes at a local Shop and it felt very robust, the keys have a very good feel, aswell as the faders and rotarys... just like your MPD.
The pads arent as good as on the MPD, they felt much stiffer then on the padcontrol units, but maybe it gets better after you use them a while, the unit was brandnew so i cant tell anything about longterm use...

After all i decided to go for a Remote SL 25 Compact, because i liked the Automap System, the Big Display and most important for me, its size. The Akai is just to big for my studio desk and isnt that portable if you ask me.

But if space and portability isnt a issue for you, the MPK is a very good choice imho. :)
Ok....
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

S.D.L wrote: Ok....
ok...what ?

keepin it minimal, hmn ? 8)

sinistral
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sinistral »

fragment wrote:
S.D.L wrote: Ok....
ok...what ?

keepin it minimal, hmn ? 8)
anyways, thanks fragment, i was going to get it but now i think of portability, and it is an issue.

so im thinkin either the SL or the X-station.

It would be my first hardware synth... but for me, the onboard audio interface is selling point cause im trying to free up my audio 8 dj and keep it dedicated for my traktor scratch set up.