mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nicktem »

D4RKFORCE wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
nicktem wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:@Nicktem:
You can't compare major sales with our sales.
I don't have the figures, but I really don't believe that vinyl sales for electronic music should be rising!

@BLM: Is that a fact you know for sure, that many labels sell over 1.000? As far as I know, it's only a very few that sells over 1.000. Even labels like Kompakt, Poker Flat, Get Physical have many of their releases that are just close to the 1.000 mark....
Yeah i know, i said that. I was just trying to be optimistic... still love vinyl. But you have to admit that is good news to hear vinyl is on the increase for major labels, it may flow over onto us?
Well, it is actually 5 years ago or more that vinyl sales raised for the major labels and had them starting to do vinyl again, so no, I don't believe it will flow over to 'us' at all... vinyl sales has only gone 1 way for electronic music, and that is down :(
Yep. True. I think its because the new wave of wannabee dj's are going for digital and not vinyl. As well as digital being the cheaper option, you have the likes of Richie Hawtin pushing digital so all these new dj's that love hawtin are going to copy what he does.

i am not really agree with that idea "digital is the cheapest option"...

Mac Book / Good Laptop = 1000 euros (or more)

Serato / Traktor = 500 / 600 euros???

And of course you have to buy your mp3s or wavs

Personally, I prefer to spend 2000 euros in vinyls than buying another laptop and Serato.

I think the problem is not that digital is cheaper. The problem is the young dj's (at least in my country) don't understand the terms "Paying for culture / paying for music". So in this case, for this new djs is cheaper (or free) to download mp3 from pirate webs than buying legal mp3/wav or vinyls
I think what BLM meant was that digital is the norm, or the first point of call, to all the new guys n gals getting into djing/producing. And with big names like Richie Hawtin, and other djs not just in the techno or house genre pushing it, thats all the new recruits see and know.
Octopi
-------------------------------------
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Kiani wrote:
But now, when I experience the ease of finding and buying tracks on the internet, I understand that vinyl is not having any chance in the future.
That comment is pretty harsh, I think, no pun intended. Not buying any digital releases myself at all, and I must admit I´m only speculating, but from what I´ve heard, some of my friends have been complaining about how hard it is to find decent tracks amongst all the not-so-good stuff out there. Same goes for vinyl of course but then again because of so much stuff getting released that would never see the daylight on vinyl, I think that here the limitation to vinyl only tracks for me is actually an advantage.

I can still see vinyl kicking it. And I´m sure I will also be buying digital stuff in the future also. But I don´t see vinyl as a format disappearing anywhere.

This is just how I feel about it.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

juhokusti wrote: But I don´t see vinyl as a format disappearing anywhere.
I do, to the point where middle class/small labels like my own won't press vinyl anymore, and where the big ones will just run a 500 copy run to the connoisseurs.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

patrick bateman wrote:
I do, to the point where middle class/small labels like my own won't press vinyl anymore, and where the big ones will just run a 500 copy run to the connoisseurs.
Oh yes, that is true and you know better than me. But I was replying to the comment saying vinyl doesn´t have ANY chance in the future. my bad, sorry.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

juhokusti wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Oh yes, that is true and you know better than me. But I was replying to the comment saying vinyl doesn´t have ANY chance in the future. my bad, sorry.
If you see a 500 copy run for minus/cadenza/cocoon/get physical as a chance for the future for vinyl, then you're right...
:)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

nicktem wrote:
D4RKFORCE wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
nicktem wrote: Yeah i know, i said that. I was just trying to be optimistic... still love vinyl. But you have to admit that is good news to hear vinyl is on the increase for major labels, it may flow over onto us?
Well, it is actually 5 years ago or more that vinyl sales raised for the major labels and had them starting to do vinyl again, so no, I don't believe it will flow over to 'us' at all... vinyl sales has only gone 1 way for electronic music, and that is down :(
Yep. True. I think its because the new wave of wannabee dj's are going for digital and not vinyl. As well as digital being the cheaper option, you have the likes of Richie Hawtin pushing digital so all these new dj's that love hawtin are going to copy what he does.

i am not really agree with that idea "digital is the cheapest option"...

Mac Book / Good Laptop = 1000 euros (or more)

Serato / Traktor = 500 / 600 euros???

And of course you have to buy your mp3s or wavs

Personally, I prefer to spend 2000 euros in vinyls than buying another laptop and Serato.

I think the problem is not that digital is cheaper. The problem is the young dj's (at least in my country) don't understand the terms "Paying for culture / paying for music". So in this case, for this new djs is cheaper (or free) to download mp3 from pirate webs than buying legal mp3/wav or vinyls
I think what BLM meant was that digital is the norm, or the first point of call, to all the new guys n gals getting into djing/producing. And with big names like Richie Hawtin, and other djs not just in the techno or house genre pushing it, thats all the new recruits see and know.
Yeah thats what I meant. I still beleive Digital is the cheaper option though. It costs a few pounds for me to download a mp3 and stick it onto Cd where as a vinyl costs about £7 for one. I still buy both, but limit myself to vinyl as I find most music 'throw away' so just tend to stick to stuff i really love on vinyl and the rest ill buy on mp3.

It will be a sad day if vinyl ever disconinues or just the larger labels dropping to 500 units. I myself cant see labels like minus ever do that as they have such a big following people will always buy there music. I wonder what the average is at the moment for record sales. I think in general I know labels are doing about 500...
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

vinyl always has a resale option

especially if its a limited pressing of an amazing tune

people will pay $100+ for certain tracks on discogs

MP3 have no resale value what so ever