isnt it totally whack?

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Rochey wrote:theyre just playing there songs in a set order & thats it...
I remember seeing jake fairley do a live pa on a mpc 1000 in detroit several years ago..

the music was all released tracks and Im sure they were already in a specific order...

I'm sure using samplers - that is more or less - what you had to do (before) ableton...

but now people have a variety of options ...
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

For the record is it wrong to DJ with Abelton? It's not as easy or dumbed up as the "Sync" function in Traktor imo. Also if you slice and dice, loop well, don't over effect, know your tracks and have a good ear for minimal techno this can be a deadly combo of awesomeness. Especially if you can do it on the fly. I personally take a little crap from my friends that are all DJ's because I do this, but at the same time love the music as much as them and they know i am in it for the right reasons and that I have respect for people that spin. I give them crap, that they are in the ice age of DJ'n and they are holding themselves back.

Calling yourself a live act when you play others peoples stuff besides your own is definitely gay. Who lets that sh!t fly? Hay jay! House music all night yawn!!! Just kidding. You where awesome in Denver the 2x I got to see yah. Sorry for the crappy turnouts, your that underground :)
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

i wont comment on the stuff before, i can only tell my opinons.

i can never do a "liveset" in the arrange mode (ok, i did that my first gig a couple a years ago actually but that doesnt count now.. (first time's for everyone is okay, but if ya keep on doing that sh!t....)

right now for us its kind of the thing of playing "LIVE", why would play the whole track as you arranged it and released it when you can do completly different stuff? why play a track thats like 9 minutes on a 12" when you can play with loops and melodies from some of your other tracks instead and just freak out in the moment!

you can do so many things with yourtracks/loops so its kinda useless/dissapointing to have something that is kind of "predetermined". of course you can have kind of a setlist prepared (we have atleast) but to have the whole thing fixed before is just WHACK!

it would be like a dj who puts on a mixcd.you can fall asleep and the set will be going? stupid!! WHACK as jay said! as a performer myself thats atleast trying to rock the crowd "live", its very frustrating! i think (or hope, im a bit naive) that its more of a bizniz in "electrohouse" or similar stuff but i actually dont know. is it that wide spread already? ifso, its WHACK!
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I no longer have any problem with people using Ableton to DJ, so long as they are innovative. I like to call this new style "live remixing," 8) and it can be very entertaining when the DJ is talented.

What I do still have issues with:

Where I live, there are tons of DJs who use a computer to play songs back-to-back with pretty much no mixing or manipulation going down. Many of them are using pirated software and low-bitrate mp3s from p2p. It's usually billed as a "live set." It's excruciating to the ear to hear those horrible digital artifacts. It sounds like streaming RealPlayer from 1997.

These people get paid, so why not spend a few bucks at Juno or Beatport for the sake of sound quality? What's wrong with re-investing a couple gig's profit for a licensed copy of Ableton? :roll: The answer is obvious. They don't care.

Anyone who pays admission where these people play, no matter who else is there that night is being ripped off.
nicktem
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nicktem »

cause its all so whack, why doesnt everyone just start calling them "laptop sets". If everyone got behind this notion the problem will solve itself through the wonders of cognitive learning.

start the revolution
Octopi
-------------------------------------
fugazi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fugazi »

this post was dead... really nice discussions added here :o
go ahead!!