Neuton....

- open
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

the days of vinyl are increasingly numbered. perhaps we have to seriously start think about what techno will be/can be without it...
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

chrisdisco wrote:the days of vinyl are increasingly numbered. perhaps we have to seriously start think about what techno will be/can be without it...
I refuse to accept that! And as long as there are enough dumbasses like me who like carrying around 30kg of wax instead of a laptop the death of vinyl will be a very very slow one.
I really don't get it, if people buy less vinyl, why not just produce less vinyl and make most releases a limited run of 500 copies like lomidhigh lmtd? it's always been a niche-market so specialize it even further!
Isn't there an option to cut away the middle man (I'm not an expert on this subject but still..).
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

chrisdisco wrote: I really don't get it, if people buy less vinyl, why not just produce less vinyl and make most releases a limited run of 500 copies like lomidhigh lmtd?
LMD lmtd is 300 copies.

Anyway, many labels have big troubles even selling 500 copies, so there you go.
And here we are talking about the distributor, not the labels.
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

I really don't get it, if people buy less vinyl, why not just produce less vinyl and make most releases a limited run of 500 copies like lomidhigh lmtd? it's always been a niche-market so specialize it even further!
This is simple economics, some labels have a higher break-even point than others, so the cost of manufacturing & mastering 500 copies may be more than the total revenue of selling 500 copies.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yep. In most cases labels get remixes and with so many artists demanding silly fee's there is no way labels can make there money back with 400-500 sales. There are many labels selling over 1000+ so the market is there, you just need to be one of these labels hyped about.

There are areas that need improving too. For example import sales in the UK are awful because of high costs for shops buying in music. There are plenty of shops in London that simply wont buy in music because of the high costs. I know of labels with a uk distro selling 300-400 copies and labels without uk distro selling like 40-50 copies. Like I said there is a market you just need to tap into it the correct way.
markojux
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markojux »

a sad day indeed.. :cry:
nicktem
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nicktem »

chrisdisco wrote:the days of vinyl are increasingly numbered. perhaps we have to seriously start think about what techno will be/can be without it...
Actually, vinyl sales are on the increase in general thats why so many big labels like Universal, Sony, etc are putting so much music out on vinyl. The bellow figures also include vintage vinyl sales as well. However, i doubt these factor in techno sales, but i also think the reason why vinyl sales are on the increase is because people want to own their favourite music on vinyl because its something special. A lot people who just collect vinyl to listen to music and not dj just want to own what they like. Nowadays, there is so much bad crap coming out its very daunting for the average vinyl collector to sift through. Though, thats just a small part of it.

I still prefer and still buy vinyl over beatport mp3s, because its better in a million different ways! But theres some stuff i need to have on mp3 so i can travel with my music, and that would be the main factor why mp3s rule supreme. I dont think vinyl will ever fade out, its got that cool factor about it and the fact that its what a DJ should use, its what is etched into our minds. Like if you see an ad on tv with a dj, he/she is always playing vinyl. Its just it might become a bit more niche.

The end of year figures for 2007
http://76.74.24.142/81128FFD-028F-28...BF16A46388.pdf
Total sales of vinyl (compared to 2006) are up 36%, yet CDs are down 17%.
Octopi
-------------------------------------
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

@Nicktem:
You can't compare major sales with our sales.
I don't have the figures, but I really don't believe that vinyl sales for electronic music should be rising!

@BLM: Is that a fact you know for sure, that many labels sell over 1.000? As far as I know, it's only a very few that sells over 1.000. Even labels like Kompakt, Poker Flat, Get Physical have many of their releases that are just close to the 1.000 mark....