University/collage while making music

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Ddi write an extensive reply to this before my browser decided to suddenly quit without saving.

To resume it, It was more about getting as many doors open as you can. University is a good way to do that. Also you can always come back to doing music when you're done with your studies. It's not like this is going away.
When I was in your position, I weighted the pros and cons of both. Knowing I want to also have a comfortable life and live in a city (which is almost always far more expensive than out the city) I know I need to get myself in a secure position where I can do all that I actually want to do. Also, although I have no clue about how the uni system is where you are, you could do 1 year in 2, taking only half the classes to free up time for both music, work, uni and social life. I did this 2 years ago, deciding to do my master in architecture in 3 years instead of 2. This has actually freed up a lot of time and is a time where i'm actually accomplishing loads more than when doing just one thing (architecture). Also this situation allows me to enjoy more all the differet things i do. So whenever I get bored of something I can always fall back on some other stuff I'm doing.
I guess it's not about not doing or doing university. It's more about how can you do both while keeping all that you want. IMHO

Good luck with it all anyways.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

I don't see how you cant do both... music is a full time job, plus some... and if you don't use it then yes you loose it, so going to uni and then thinking you will come back to it is completely insane... plus when you're done with uni your brain is fried from all that learning, and really the best time to learn music is the earliest you can (down to infancy, fooo real).
Last edited by yacek on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Steevio I hope you don't mind me asking (you can tell me to mind my own if you want), but where exactly is your money coming from? Is it from events as i notice you don't have a lot of music coming out and with the low units being sold at the moment you can't be making enough to live off and support a family.
ha ha, yes mind your own business !

if you mean am i making money from the label, or releasing tracks, absolutely not. i'm having a break from releasing music at the moment, i tend to work on tracks for two or three years, then release the best of those all at once. got a whole bunch coming out soon.
the label is also on hold, because i'm just not being sent the music i want to release. mindtours has never at any time been a commercial concern, its more of a non-profit collective.
Yeah thats what I wanted to know. For me it's the opposite, every penny I earn comes from my releases. It's quite hard though as you need to be consistant (which I'm not). Lot's of people release each month, but I prefer to have 2-3 a year that I feel completly.
m jaco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by m jaco »

Interesting post as I ran into the same problem. I was originally going to school for business management and real estate development and this is around the time I was starting to make music heavily. I soon realized the corporate business life wasn't for me and that music was my true passion. After realizing this I made huge change and transferred to art school to study music and music business. I plan to dedicate my life to music and the industry and I'm happy I figured this out even though chances are I could have made much more money doing real estate. You have to figure out what success is to you as an individual. Some people find success is making tons of money and others find success is just doing the art you love and getting by on that, so its important to try and figure out what sucess means to you and what you want out of life
ashish
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ashish »

u should carry on with uni and make music in ur spare time, if ur very passionate about ur music im sure u can make time for production. i know of many artists who have juggled both uni and producing.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

ashish wrote:u should carry on with uni and make music in ur spare time, if ur very passionate about ur music im sure u can make time for production. i know of many artists who have juggled both uni and producing.
+1 ; dont be a waster, get off your ass and do something with your life....
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
ashish wrote:u should carry on with uni and make music in ur spare time, if ur very passionate about ur music im sure u can make time for production. i know of many artists who have juggled both uni and producing.
ur an idiot... it's either music or nothing... maybe you guys don't really know much about producing, but it's a full time job and either you're dedicated or you're not.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

yacek wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
ur an idiot... it's either music or nothing... maybe you guys don't really know much about producing, but it's a full time job and either you're dedicated or you're not.
Fck you! im no idiot! "its either music or nothing"!; man, i know where my heart is, but i also have allot of other responsibility's that im adult enough to give two shits about.

Plenty of producers spent years juggling a career and endless studio hours because they gave a sh!t, i think thats shows even more dedication.

But we all different, im happy with what im doing, your happy with what your doing...

My point was, done SOMETHING, dont just sit in your "studio" (a corner of your bedroom in most cases", get out there and push yourself....