Dapayk talks about minus/hawtin

- open
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

laurens wrote:
the main difference is that those labels just bring quality music and dont come up with cubes and invaders
hehe, i had to laugh when i read that :) good points 8)
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

instead of trying to get rich of something, go sell cars if thats ur goal
Djing is funnier. What you don"t understand , it's not my vision cause i choosed not to make a living of music , is art is business period. You are a reknown artist when you're able to make profit from it. In this world , value is the amount of money.

isn't andy warhol an artist? well he made loads of money from his art during his life. Hawtin is in my opinion a kind of warhol of Techno. He invented techno minimal , period. Those who are not being artistic are us , we did not invent anything with your TR808 tracks. So who dare critisize Hawtin ? nobody can cause nobody but him launched this trend. I've got a record of him from 1992 which is already techno minimal. Now ok , he wants to make money , who does not? making money has nothing to do with being underground or not , as long as you keep doing what you want and you dont follow trends. Which trend Minus is following? the one they created ? they are the leaders , you like it or not , cause they invented it.
laurens
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by laurens »

thats just being ignorant, minimalism is something that already existed in the sixties but in other music forms like jazz for example and later on it translated to electronic music, and daniel bell for example was also one of them pioneers, it wasnt just ritchie, he isnt a god u know, techno in itself is minimalistic music, even the banging sh!t from the nineties cuz it is repetetive music.

if u valuate everything u do by how much money its worth then im not even gonna continue this discussion, how much is a good kiss from a person u love worth then? 500 euros? i'd say its priceless, and a song that makes me warm inside or makes me dance and loose my head and is so beautifull i almost could cry? pretty priceless to me.

and unlike warhol there are a zillion artists that made unbelievable stuff but havent got a penny for it during their lives (van gogh had an absinth addiction because of his poverty and was a reject almost everywhere where he came and he is now one of the most valuable painters ever lived)
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

thats just being ignorant, minimalism is something that already existed in the sixties but in other music forms like jazz for example and later on it translated to electronic music, and daniel bell for example was also one of them pioneers, it wasnt just ritchie, he isnt a god u know, techno in itself is minimalistic music, even the banging sht from the nineties cuz it is repetetive music.
well Jazz men from the sixties didn't invent modern techno as we know it , as far as i know.

They didn't filtered white noise , didn't use tr808 for 4 on the floor beats , or we just could say prehistoric men did invent techno minimal?! ? that is just stupid.

you're talking about van gogh , but if his painting didn't cost millions now, would you have heard of him ? no way boy.

Again , are you working ? how much bucks do you earn per month ? maybe 2000€ euros , more , less ? i don't know. Now try to leave your work , and make the same amount of money just by releasing tracks or mixing in clubs, i think it will radically change your way of thinking music and art and the whole damn thing. It is easy to to be a bedroom dj or a semi pro , and to spit on pros.

Is Hawtin making Trance music? Stupid hardstyle ? Hell no , he is doing what he wants , and he created his own style . Did you create your own style ? i don't say i do , cause i did not. like everyone else on this forum , i listened some track and seek what could reproduce this or that sound.

So maybe Hawtin is not a god, but what have you done , what have you created to have the right to say what you're saying? i ask you
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

camus wrote:
thats just being ignorant, minimalism is something that already existed in the sixties but in other music forms like jazz for example and later on it translated to electronic music, and daniel bell for example was also one of them pioneers, it wasnt just ritchie, he isnt a god u know, techno in itself is minimalistic music, even the banging sht from the nineties cuz it is repetetive music.
well Jazz men from the sixties didn't invent modern techno as we know it , as far as i know.

They didn't filtered white noise , didn't use tr808 for 4 on the floor beats , or we just could say prehistoric men did invent techno minimal?! ? that is just stupid.

you're talking about van gogh , but if his painting didn't cost millions now, would you have heard of him ? no way boy.

Again , are you working ? how much bucks do you earn per month ? maybe 2000€ euros , more , less ? i don't know. Now try to leave your work , and make the same amount of money just by releasing tracks or mixing in clubs, i think it will radically change your way of thinking music and art and the whole damn thing. It is easy to to be a bedroom dj or a semi pro , and to spit on pros.

Is Hawtin making Trance music? Stupid hardstyle ? Hell no , he is doing what he wants , and he created his own style . Did you create your own style ? i don't say i do , cause i did not. like everyone else on this forum , i listened some track and seek what could reproduce this or that sound.

So maybe Hawtin is not a god, but what have you done , what have you created to have the right to say what you're saying? i ask you
everybody has a right to say his opinion

i don't follow hypes, i avoid them, unconsciously
RICHie and his minus gang is a hype for me, i dont even take time to listen to their new releases... cause, i know i'm not going to like them

there is more about minimal than white noise and a tr 808

art for me is love for what you do

richie is an artist, he probably has love for what he does and for many people he is a pioneer. But he lost my respect since he made this whole hype around it.

And indeed, ritchie is like andy warhol
his music is like pop art, repetition of the same thing over and over again, put in another color, made for the commercial world, art that is easier accepted by the big audience
less meaning and idea behind it, more made to be decorative

that's also what ritchies's music is to me

at least van gogh had feeling in his paintings, you can read his emotion from the touch of his paint brush, his own view of reality, how other people never would have seen it.
andy warhol used the commercial society for his art, taking things and make them different, instead of making things that are different.

things that are known with the commercial society are easier accepted,
new ideas are easier rejected

(damn should have become a mc 8) :lol: )

this is my opinion :-flower

now I ask you, what is your idea behind art and music?

ciao

Menno
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

i believe it was about a decade ago that richie decided to move away from plus 8 and go in a new direction. more than overdue for the same thing to happen once more. will it? i highly doubt it. troy is about the only guy from m-nus who interests me right now.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

well , take picasso , dali , or even mozart...

Were'nt they succesfull during there lives? so what , is it because you're succefull , what you're doing sucks or is commercial ? Does hawtin has someone to tell him what to produde ? the hell he doesn't...

i don't understand you guys. Of course he is doing marketing , but you're doing marketing the moment you're posting a snippet on myspace. So every body who puts his music on myspace is hype and sucks? No he runs a business , he wants to pay his employees so he tries to create a concept that he can sell to clubs , that's all. Is it something bad?

Next ? what are we talking about ? hiphop? pop ? trance ? electro ? no we are talking about minimal techno , one of the most complex and non "pop" style of music in this world. Aren't you happy some artists get a little recognition ? how old is Hawtin ? 40/45? can't he get a little fame during his life ? Do you think minus artists are paid like carl cox or testio ?

So please , juge not minus because of a cube promo which is a business promo , but juge them by their music. They've created something , and everybody took a piece of it.

Maybe what there doing isn't something new anymore , but what is fresh in techno ? which artist is doing something new now? you tell me.
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

camus wrote:well , take picasso , dali , or even mozart...

Were'nt they succesfull during there lives? so what , is it because you're succefull , what you're doing sucks or is commercial ? Does hawtin has someone to tell him what to produde ? the hell he doesn't...

i don't understand you guys. Of course he is doing marketing , but you're doing marketing the moment you're posting a snippet on myspace. So every body who puts his music on myspace is hype and sucks? No he runs a business , he wants to pay his employees so he tries to create a concept that he can sell to clubs , that's all. Is it something bad?

Next ? what are we talking about ? hiphop? pop ? trance ? electro ? no we are talking about minimal techno , one of the most complex and non "pop" style of music in this world. Aren't you happy some artists get a little recognition ? how old is Hawtin ? 40/45? can't he get a little fame during his life ? Do you think minus artists are paid like carl cox or testio ?

So please , juge not minus because of a cube promo which is a business promo , but juge them by their music. They've created something , and everybody took a piece of it.

Maybe what there doing isn't something new anymore , but what is fresh in techno ? which artist is doing something new now? you tell me.
i judged them on their music too

never said he sucked
i'm just totaly not into what he does

i really dont know where you get the ideas of telling someone what he must do? We never said that someone tells him to make what he's making.
he's just making music that is easily accepted by the commercial world, so he can make easy money of it.

that's what the whole deal is about, the way he brings him and the minus crew to the world, it's over marketing.

plus i find ritchie's gang not really complex and for me they are the pop in the 'minimal' world

you can get recognition, but i find it more beautiful if someone gets it on a more subtle way...