Labels/label owners...what do they look for?

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I know there are a few label owners on here so i was wondering what they looked for in a demo,do they look for a near mastered mix?does any more mastering go on at the label 'HQ' if say your track/s get taken?
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

money

yes it sounds cruel, no its not fair, yes thats how the business works, no you cant blame them. They also wanna have a house, a wife, etc.

psssst..... they call it work... don't tell anybody else !

oke now serious. I mean the things i said previously but you also got some label owners with passion and stuff. They look for talent and a good mixed demo.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Roqqert wrote:Labels/label owners...what do they look for?

money
Are you freaking serious?
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Labels/label owners...what do they look for?

Post by pheek »

kristofason wrote:I know there are a few label owners on here so i was wondering what they looked for in a demo,do they look for a near mastered mix?does any more mastering go on at the label 'HQ' if say your track/s get taken?
I don't care if your track is mastered or not. I just want to hear your idea and what you have to present. A lot of people think that way too.
Hope this help!
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

pheek wrote:I don't care if your track is mastered or not. I just want to hear your idea and what you have to present. A lot of people think that way too.
Hope this help!
I'm not a label owner but +1 for pheek... because the "all about money" comment annoyed me.
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

yacek wrote:
pheek wrote:I don't care if your track is mastered or not. I just want to hear your idea and what you have to present. A lot of people think that way too.
Hope this help!
... because the "all about money" comment annoyed me.
+2

You ll find people wanted to make big money everywhere and there is probably people who do that only for money... but there is lots of people who put lots of efforts, lots of time, lots of passion in what they do...
And i am not a label owner too but to my opinion i think that for those people it's probably really hard nowadays to rule a label !

But this is off topic

From what i've heard and read the question is not about mastering or not, it's about giving the best sound you can with or without mastering ! and i think that most of people feel the same about it. Mastering comes to give the best of what your track is !
But about mastering i use to think that most of the label used to do a mastering of their artists tracks and most of them have audio engeeners for that!
Maybe I am wrong ? sometimes it may be unnecessary !
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

pheek wrote:
kristofason wrote:I know there are a few label owners on here so i was wondering what they looked for in a demo,do they look for a near mastered mix?does any more mastering go on at the label 'HQ' if say your track/s get taken?
I don't care if your track is mastered or not. I just want to hear your idea and what you have to present. A lot of people think that way too.
Hope this help!

I have to agree with pheek, and also say that money has not driven me to run my label at all. The whole reason my label was created was because myself and my partner had found a bunch of music that we thought the world should hear. We continue to try and find music that might not get a chance to be heard. So far our label has not made any money, the money that is made is spent on the artists...

So I can honestly say it isnt about the money, :)

Its about good music, and creating a sense of community inside of a terribly introverted business.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

If i would run my label for the money, i'd be suicidal or something by now. I had to close Kalimari for money problems. Paying for putting out music has its limits too.

Sort of drives me crazy when people ask me to do more vinyl when i'm losing money on each releases or so.