Live Disk Overload Issue!

- ask away
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Yeah i have done that, well not all of them, but the 1 gb or RAM should help with that.. would it better to put the longer clips in ram mode and not the smaller ones or vice versa?
kahl_s
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kahl_s »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:Yeah i have done that, well not all of them, but the 1 gb or RAM should help with that.. would it better to put the longer clips in ram mode and not the smaller ones or vice versa?
yeah, think that would definatly grease the data transportation.
I upgraded from 1 gb to 3 gb... Can´t say that I notice vast changes in speed but I guess it´s there somewhere, cause it runs smooth, haha.
Go for the upgrade!
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Shadi, do you know if it happens all the time or under specific moments? I have that problem when i have too many channels and clips playing all together. Also, this problem was more frequent under my PC than mac.

Maybe your external HD has a slow access? what its RPM?
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Staffan, i'm definately gonna upgrade the ram, but i can only upgrade to an extra gb, will do that today and hope ite easys my laptops pain, poor bastard :D

His Pheekness, I'm actually not running anything off the external drive at the moment cuz i have plenty os space on the d drive.. but i recently got the lacie rugged hd (500 gb) and its rpm is 5400..

It mainly happens when i have a lot of clips playing at the same time, i've got 9 channels running, which i didn't think was too much..
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

what's the spec on the clips you are playing ?

eg: all audio ? If so what samplerate/format ? (wav aiff)
or all Midi running pure VST's or sampling VSt's or a mix and match ?
are the channels running FX ?

Couple of things you can try , which might seem unrelated, but I had similar problems with my new laptop recently and was annoyed cos I got 2g ram , a dual core processor and a pretty stable/large HDD.

1 thing is to work out if it actually is the disk, you can assign samples to RAM or freeze the tracks to double check , if it still does it, the problem might be something else.

Glitching I find with Ableton is more normally caused by the soundcard not being able to handle the sample conversion - try changing from 44 - 48 - 96 and playing with the sample buffer sizes.

Weirdly enough - on my own laptop - I get the best results @ 96k whereas I thought this would haveo nly been a possible choice for a high end card.

Anyway - I don't have time to add more detail to this post, but I'd reccomend you investigate this side of things and take a look at your soundcard.

To give you an idea - on a Celeron D processor with 1g of Ram and an on board intel soundchip I can run ableton 7 with about 10-20 channels depending on configuration - eg: clips, midi etc, typically I will experience a bit of glitch when it goes over 2-3 processor hungry VSTis or Insert FX (reverbs or complex delays for example) this is normally running at 44 or 48k 16bit and i usually use aiff files for maximum compatibility. This is all under XP.

On my laptop with a dual core, onboard sound chip (not sure which make), 2 gig of ram and running vista (which most people don't) I can run anything I flipping well like with no glitch whatsoever - think I've had about 8 Albino's, 1X Moog emulator, 1 Pro-53, 30 odd channels varying between impulse, drumracks and audio and insert FX on most of them with very little noticeable dropout - that's with high res stereo samples as well.

One other thing to consider is how many samples you actually have open at any one time - If it's a lot of long stereo high res samples - I would expect it to struggle - perhaps consider resampling down for certain sounds or converting to mono on certain elements.

I reckon with your lappy you should perhaps get a performance somewhere between my desktop and my lappy if you havent' got shafted or badly configured components in your system.
kahl_s
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kahl_s »

5400 rpm... hmmm. i would never go below 7200 for an external device if it´s supposed to ship alot of data simultaneously and for an extended period of time.

How big is the external hdd´s cache?
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Thanks a lot for all the tips thus far guys.. I've just added the extra gb of RAM and so far it hasn't glitched yet. I have yet to add more clips and push it to the limits of what i plan to do live so theres no need for a celebratory pint or 10 just yet, but i'm very pleased with the progress..

thanks a lot for that lengthy tip AVX23, i've got Native Instruments Audio Kontrol soundcard. I'll try the clips in 96 k and see how that works out. I've also changed some of the channels to play mono so thats helping too..

Staffan, i'll mostly be using the hard drive for when i dj off Serato and not when playing live so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Gonna render some more loops and throw them in there and see how live reacts, but so far theres a big improvement..

keep you guys posted, and if you have any more tips i'm all ears.

Also asked the guy at the shop if Windows xp could handle 4 gb of ram.. and he said that if i checked the properties it wouldn't show but it would be there. I'm quite skeptical as he obviously just wants to sell it to me, and they are generally known to be clueless in Abu Dhabi.. I know i'd have to run Windows vista, 64 bit to do that, but i'm not even sure if Live is 64 bit compatible..

thanks again homiessss 8)