432 Hz

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Always love these topics.

I recall Torque saying that it was the church who altered tuning as they found 432 had too much resonance in the human body, and they wanted to be in control of people. (in some ways I find it more digusting if it was the church who introdued this change rather than the Nazis... looking back the Nazis have been appropriately appraised by our societies, but the chruch are viewed positively for the most part)

here's the thread....

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... ht=#233605

For me, I have a great piece of software (http://www.nonoctave.com) that allows me to easily get dirty with tunings.

I always set my root note to something cosmic like the frequency of the sun (126.22hz) or the earth year (136.1 hz). (I like using these as root tempos too).

I'm not in a position to definitively say the physical effects of using these frequencies, but there is something satisfying to me conceptually about using naturally occurring frequencies (especially cosmic and solar ones).

Anceient Indian music did this too, their root note 'Sa' (father to the others) was at 136.1 hz. fck knows how they worked this out but obviously they were paying attention somewhere!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i've been experimenting with this for a while.
i noticed that when i tune my moog voyager to 440, the marks on the facia panel dont correspond to 0, so i analysed a sinewave at A4 with the pot set at 0 and the frequency is 432 / 433.
so i tuned all my other synths down to the Moog.
i wonder if bob moog was onto this, or whether its pure chance and down to manufacture error, ie. the pot wasnt lined up to the facia properly.

anyway there is a significant difference to the the tone when you tune down.
it sounds better to me, regardless of the theory behind it.

btw. it corellates to approximately 30 cents down for software guys.

here's where i heard about the nazi connection;
http://www.432hz.org/
Last edited by steevio on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Broken »

I love this thread already and i am beggining to mess around with A432 :D
Lord_Iron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lord_Iron »

The problem I think it is that if you try to mix a track tuned in 440 with another tuned in 432 is not going to sound very good, or at least is going to be much difficult to mix one with the other, specially the basses and the chords. To me is like if I tune my guitar in 432 and I try to jam with other musicians that play in 440...it would be a mess. But of course if you are not making tracks for DJ´s to play in clubs or wherever then is ok ;)
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

Lord_Iron wrote:The problem I think it is that if you try to mix a track tuned in 440 with another tuned in 432 is not going to sound very good, or at least is going to be much difficult to mix one with the other, specially the basses and the chords. To me is like if I tune my guitar in 432 and I try to jam with other musicians that play in 440...it would be a mess. But of course if you are not making tracks for DJ´s to play in clubs or wherever then is ok ;)
dj's mix records at different tempos...so theyre often increasing of decreasing the pitch anyway... i think its rare for a dj to only mix tunes in the same key and tuning... especially in techno
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Lord_Iron wrote:The problem I think it is that if you try to mix a track tuned in 440 with another tuned in 432 is not going to sound very good, or at least is going to be much difficult to mix one with the other, specially the basses and the chords. To me is like if I tune my guitar in 432 and I try to jam with other musicians that play in 440...it would be a mess. But of course if you are not making tracks for DJ´s to play in clubs or wherever then is ok ;)
yeah but we all make tracks at different tempos anyway, its not the same as a jam.

there was a vinyl label i noticed a couple of years ago which had the key and tempo of the track written on the label, and they only recorded at a couple of different standard tempos so you could mix their records easily.
i thought that was a great idea, but it only works if everybody does it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorry nospin, posted at the same time. :)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Might be a silly question,
But doesn't the pitching of djs change the actual tuning? like if a dj added a few % then the A would be hitting a tad higher right ?
So tuning @ 432 just makes sense when the songs is gonna be played at the exact tempo it was made at right?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk