Bass Tricks

- ask away
stefanovidalidj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Bass Tricks

Post by stefanovidalidj »

Hy guys, i think i have read almost all bass thread on the forum and most of them explain the classic sine bass... But why we dont go more in depth and share each other tricks to make different sounding bass?

Personally, i love to make lower saw/square notes and use automation to play with reso/cut off of the filter to obtain unusual variations.

I think it could be usefull and fun to share information about bass that arent the basic play a low sine.

Bye
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

If you'r using a square wave automate the filter cutoff to go up and down fast it's sounds a little like a 303. Just one of these things i discovered when i was toying around with a synth :)
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Pulse width modulation / FM?
unsaturated
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by unsaturated »

I sent this one out a day or so ago, but here goes again:

take a low pass filter that can self-oscillate, turn the resonance all the way up and tune the cutoff to the tone you like. Then send a click or short bit of white noise into it. Sending a hat or whatever into it will work just fine.

For more fun, modulate the cutoff frequency with either an envelope or an LFO.

FYI: this is how the 808 kick drum is synthesized. Your resulting bass tone will resemble the 808 and may sound much better than a pitched 808 sample.
_Mark
NickSoundDT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NickSoundDT »

unsaturated wrote:I sent this one out a day or so ago, but here goes again:

take a low pass filter that can self-oscillate, turn the resonance all the way up and tune the cutoff to the tone you like. Then send a click or short bit of white noise into it. Sending a hat or whatever into it will work just fine.

FYI: this is how the 808 kick drum is synthesized. Your resulting bass tone will resemble the 808 and may sound much better than a pitched 808 sample.
Excellent tip, thanks for this!

- Nick
Ableton Live sound design tutorials
stefanovidalidj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stefanovidalidj »

Yeah very good tip and finally something new ;) Il give it a try!

Also another trick: in ableton you can give some presence to subby-style basses tuning saturator knob in waveshaper mode... You can get some pretty effect from this even with a sine...
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

unsaturated wrote:I sent this one out a day or so ago, but here goes again:

its a common myth, only half true though. the 808 kick is a bridged-T oscillator, which is a slightly more complex thing than just sweeping cutoff on a resonant lowpass.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Bass Tricks

Post by steevio »

stefanovidalidj wrote:Hy guys, i think i have read almost all bass thread on the forum and most of them explain the classic sine bass... But why we dont go more in depth and share each other tricks to make different sounding bass?

Personally, i love to make lower saw/square notes and use automation to play with reso/cut off of the filter to obtain unusual variations.

I think it could be usefull and fun to share information about bass that arent the basic play a low sine.

Bye
i think theres been a lot of threads about bass on this forum which have gone into more depth than just sinewaves, i know i've contributed to some of them, maybe keep searching mate.