please explain

- open
-ix
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by -ix »

roebin de freitas wrote:I started a discussion.... run! :p

well, if "intelligent" isn't used in it's literal sense, then it's subjective.
I've never heard the term "dumb" music, used to define an entire genre.
It's only being used to highten the status of a genre, hence being snob about it...
I once read a nice comment about the intelligent .... subject.

"When you talk about intelligent music you seem to assume all other styles are stupid..."
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

anything that is self complimenting is snobby.

perhaps the whole self hype marketing may come into play here. in fact the more I think about it the more it seems to be clear that is all that it ever was. everything else was already done, said, pushed....then along came.... idm.

I don't buy that. it's all just a [new] adjective to describe music that was already here/around. A sudden market to create a new wave of buyers..... .... :arrow: :idea: marketing...
Jesse Somfay wrote:the original question was something along the lines of "how would you describe minimal to someone with no knowledge in electronic music?"
back on topic:

I was actually put on the spot when I had to dj at a museum. I thought it was just going to be a few people here and there. I had my back turned and was going through a few records..

I turned around and it could have been closed to 50 poeple, high school students wth parents, * lots of eyes looking at me. then the guy who invited me to play tells everyone to participate in asking me questions.....

I said out loud.... "awww man I didn't know it was going to be like this..." with a laugh.

I think I was telling them about my first love for minimal / studio 1 releases. then this older guy ask... what is minimal?

only guessing he didnt really know...........and I *think* I explained it as..... the focus is more on subtle changes......