How do you make steam noises for bridging?

- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

maybe make a rly long reverb tail and send it back to itself (feedback loop) and add bit reduction and distortion along the chain? that should give u like endless noise whatever sort.
or just take audiodamage deverb. or whatever.

my point is, why not just f*in experiment. its not like mastering compression or some tricky eq technique u should "learn from the pro's" or smthn

k rant over
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Robot Criminal wrote:
my point is, why not just f*in experiment. its not like mastering compression or some tricky eq technique u should "learn from the pro's" or smthn
Definitly with you on that one. I've learned that way, and i think that you can develop your own sound easier that way. You might fck up things but then realize it sounds good. It's awesome
nicktem
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nicktem »

i think it would be safe to say everyone experiments with their music, its just some things might escape someone and coming onto a forum, specifically a dedicated section on "production", to ask other people who are on said same forum for a tip or push in the right direction, kinda makes sense for that person to do, right? Though sometimes this notion escapes people and what we get is guys cluttering up a perfectly good thread with sh!t like "why dont you just fukin experiment." Wasting the persons' - who needs help - time by having to read that crap, right?

That feedback loop idea is good though too, so thanks.
Octopi
-------------------------------------
BlueFog
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BlueFog »

for those kind of sounds use pink noise instead of white. you can control it much better.
suli.belarto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by suli.belarto »

I try and use as much yellow noise as possible, it becomes much rounder and conducive for automation.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Mate like I said before, check out some synthesis based drum machines. MicroTonic is one that is perfect for doing that sort of white noise stuff. If you need some patches I dont mind giving you some to have a play with.
nicktem
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nicktem »

No thats cool, dont want patches.
I have worked out how to do it now. Thanks ppl.
Octopi
-------------------------------------
gavin@FAW
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gavin@FAW »

I'd say if you get any softsynth, find a hi-hat/snare patch and then play around with the envelope release time you should be able to get that steam sound. In the sample they are running white noise into a high pass filter, as they increase the release time they are also increasing the cutoff of the high pass giving it a thinner sound as time passes, like a pressure release.