Kids?

- ask away
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I think this is too subjective to really have an overall opinion on. For each person it will be different. Obviously being a good parent means more time out of your day. So it boils down to economics. If you don't support yourself via music and commit a % of time to something other than music daily to earn money then the time you have for music which is separate from the time you allocate to survive, ie work, is lessened regardless of your passion for music. Its a must in that case if you are a decent parent... but you could sleep less or cut out other aspects of your free time. If you work professionally in the music industry then its less of a factor. Of course I can only speculate on this and every case will be different in some way so there are no absolutes. Perhaps you have a trust fund. Perhaps you'll be a bad parent and not allocate the appropriate amount of time to being a good parent, which again is subjective. So there is no real answer to this question, it all depends on you the parent in relation to you the musician.
Camel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Camel »

This topic reminded me of the following video:

http://www.synthmania.com/Video%20Files ... _&_808.mov

Good parenting? 8)
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

steevio wrote: your kids always have to come first, but you're right not to give up your music, its just about time management. if you were a professional musician, you wouldnt have any choice in the matter.
it does help if your partner understands, but dont give up on her, just prove to her you can do both.
i used to work through the night when my kids were babies, you have to train yourself to have less sleep. most of us sleep too much anyway.
good luck mate !
Yeah, I'm slowly starting to figure that out. Luckily I have a nice jot that has decent hours, plus I'm off ever other friday. It's just really about being flexible. And I know I'm trying to train myself on less sleep. Heck, my kid is doing a damn good job at training me for that lol.

In all seriousness though, what really inspires me to keep pressing on, is when I find out that a lot of dj's/producers I know or don't know, have families themselves, yet they are able to do what they do. I know it's really hard for professionals to make/work on music and maintain a family. As with you guys that have kids and make music as well.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

steevio wrote:
aallvor wrote:
steevio wrote: you have to train yourself to have less sleep. most of us sleep too much anyway.
This is very bad advice. There's a reason sleep deprivation is used as a torture method...

Take it from someone who hasn't slept nearly enough since March 14th 2007 ;)
jeez i'm only talking about losing an hour and half sleep cycle. 6 hours is hardly sleep deprivation. i actually feel much more energetic and refreshed when i have a shortish deep sleep.
sorry to hear about your problem, how did it start ?
My daughter's bd is March 14th ;)

I agree, 6 hours of proper sleep is enough. Problem is, I have trouble sleeping, so I have to take that into account, as well as the chance of being waken up once or twice every night.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

8 hours is best though.... after 6 hours i dont feel refreshed
juanm2t
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by juanm2t »

::BLM:: wrote:I'm having a kid at the moment and have given great thought about this. I wont like the music less or anything, but I can see myself spending less time as my kid will be the most imporant thing to me.

I think its imporant to bring your children up with music though, so from an early age ill be making sure they take their piano lessons etc..
congratulations!...having a kid must be an amazing experience!

i have a friend who had his girl, he says that when he got his girl he stopped giggs and traveling, but production was always there...also he says that when you have a kid you keep maturing faster and also your perception of music turns to something more mature.

blm junior must be a potencial musician, keep your dream up and mix it together with your kid's dream!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

steevio wrote:having kids didnt have any effect on me whatsoever in regards to making or listening to music. why should it ?
i have two grown up kids, and a teenage son. my oldest son who is at university now, used to travel around with us with our sound system round the festivals, my youngest was on the road when he was 3 weeks old.
he was born at home to the sound of bob marley playing on the stereo, and he's got a poster of bob marley on his bedroom wall now !

if you change in any way when you have kids ( apart from the obvious responsibilities ) you are doing something wrong.
I agree.

I have lost some sleep to make sure I have time for attention to my child AND music but my production hasn't changed.
Jack Rock
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jack Rock »

victorgonzales wrote:I agree.

I have lost some sleep to make sure I have time for attention to my child AND music but my production hasn't changed.
Same here.

And I did sleep too much before! :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/djjackrock
http://www.jackrock.dk
http://soundcloud.com/jack-rock
---
Out now:
Cleymore - "Reel Dance EP (inc. Jack Rock rmx)" - Sui Generiz 09
Jack Rock - "Rendez Vous EP" - Archipel 065
Jack Rock - "Filter Games" - ArtiFarti 007