How can I reduce the CPU usage in Live?

- ask away
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How can I reduce the CPU usage in Live?

Post by agodi »

Any suggestions of the best way of configuring live 7 to minimize the cpu usage?
Size
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Size »

freeze your midi tracks or buy a stronger computer ;)
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

buffer size?

what spec is your computer?
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How can I reduce the CPU usage in Live?

Post by skept »

agodi wrote:Any suggestions of the best way of configuring live 7 to minimize the cpu usage?
if you are using winxp you can create a "hardware profile" that runs the bare minimum of services needed for the applications you will be running. when i am performing i will go as far as to kill the explorer process as well although that has to be done manually after booting into my bare minimum hardware profile.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

Size wrote:freeze your midi tracks
also freeze the audio tracks you are not working on.
speaking of, if your audio tracks are using the "complex" warp mode, this takes up way more CPU resources than the other warp options...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

use less stuff!

obvious, I know, but I always find I can use less things, but do more with the stuff that i am using... Deleting stuff actually brings out my creative side a little. for example, instead of having 2 seperate effects chains, use 1 but have 2 different pre eqs. Instead of 2 different synths for hi hats, use 1 but change the parameters more.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i have problems with the newest live 7.0.10. i downgraded to 7.0.7 and its much better.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Cheers for your suggestions! Really speaking I think I need a better computer but cant afford one at the moment. Currently the pc im using has a pentium 4 processor and 1 gig of ram which will have to do until I get a job!

Typically i use about 9-12 midi channels, 3-4 of them will have vst synths and the rest will have either an impulse or a simpler. This will generally have my cpu meter at about 40-50% but once I start loading effects and compressors the cpu goes mental

I've been freezing my midi and audio channels, which helps but i still seem to be using quite alot of juice I've also started exporting things and reimporting them as audio to reduce the cpu but I dont want to have to finalize things too early in the process.

Going from the info above, is there something in the process that im doing wrong which might effect things?