[DGR] Moritz von Oswald & Carl Craig - Bolero ReComposed

- wax
Papillon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[DGR] Moritz von Oswald & Carl Craig - Bolero ReComposed

Post by Papillon »

It’s a match made in heaven. Two of the most innovative and influential producers of electronic music join forces for a very special project.

For the last few months Detroit legend Carl Craig and Berlin’s dub-techno originator Moritz von Oswald have been busy recomposing three pieces from an original recording of the Berlin philharmonic orchestra from 1987, conducted by Helmut Karajan.

The quite simply breathtaking result will hit the shops on October 17th as the third part of the ’ReComposed’ series (Mathias Arfmann and Jimi Tenor were responsible for the first two parts) on Germany’s renowned jazz label ’Deutsche Grammophon’.

Having to chose from the immense back catalogue of Deutsche Grammophon, the pair finally decided to recompose one of the biggest classical hits around: Maurice Ravel’s ’Bolero’.

But not just that, they also recomposed Ravel’s ’Rapsodie Espagnola’ and Modest Mussorgsky’s ’Bilder einer Ausstellung’.

As mentioned before, those three piece were taken from an original recording from 1987, and Craig and von Oswald had the original multitracks at their disposal.

To recompose a classical standard like ’Bolero’ is a huge challenge, but Moritz von Oswald (who studied classical music) and Carl Craig show their combined musical skills.

Reducing and abstracting the three classical pieces to their bare bones and creating something entirely new, while at the same time staying close to the original.

I wonder what people with a more classical background will make of this project.

Of all the attempts to fuse electronic and classical music (Jeff Mills ’Blue Potential’ or Maxence Cyrins ’Modern Rhapsodies’ for instance), to me, this is the most hypnotic and persuasive.

www.beatport.com
Tracklist
01. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Intro
02. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 1
03. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 2
04. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 3
05. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 4
06. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Interlude
07. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 5
08. Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - Movement 6

Release date: 17. October

Tbh: It has become hard these days for electronic music to spark my interest. But this release promises alot to me. Two of my favourite producers, the seminal Bolero and one hour of trippy electronic music. Sure shot.

You find the original bolero right here:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=b3J2_EOHBI4

Discuss!
Last edited by Papillon on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dinamoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dinamoe »

oh my gosh! this sounds pretty much interesting!!
have to spend both ears for that as soon as possible...
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

Sounds cool to me ! Bolero isn't my favorite from Ravel but this will be definitely interesting to ear.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

very intrested to check this out!
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:very intrested to check this out!
definitely !
jorgeds
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jorgeds »

it's amazing... and maybe a little bit more than that
pre-amp tango
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pre-amp tango »

a friend of mine who runs a record shop played the promo for me.
all in all it's a nice techno album with some classical bits, but i would never call it a recomposition. that's pure bullsh*t (i guess some people here now want to see me hung, drawn and quartered).
it's simply a techno album with dub influences and samples of classical instruments taken from the original recordings.

i think there's nothing more boring than bolero... that's the only track that might be considered "recomposed" - if that describes a cover version. i also know "bilder einer ausstellung" pretty much by heart (i grew up with it), i think it's one of the most powerful suites in classical music. and i didn't recognize a single part in this recording. if sampling and layering small bits over oswald's beats means recomposition - well, then you know what to expect.

don't get me wrong: for me this thing here works as a techno record with classical bits. it's just not as interesting and diverse as i expected it to be. one movement was really exciting, but that's it.

now let's wait and see what people think who come from the other direction, the techno direction ;)
Papillon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Papillon »

thanks pre-emp tango. Well, lets see if it lives up to what it promises. As I read today there will be a vinyl release + a Villalobos remix. Release date is next week.

Quite long snippets can be heard here: http://media.universal-music.de/caj/_kl ... mposed.htm