i'm fed up... i beg you...

- ask away
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

AVX23 wrote:I don't think it's wise to try and lay down any laws to people, it just puts people off, and it's a difficult enough game to get into in the 1st place, new talent should be encouraged without too many constraints.
True.. Some of those less creative producers who mimic the popular sound of the moment may eventually turn out good and put out great stuff once they've evolved/grown/matured in their music and ideas.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

tettezak wrote:
AVX23 wrote:I don't think it's wise to try and lay down any laws to people, it just puts people off, and it's a difficult enough game to get into in the 1st place, new talent should be encouraged without too many constraints.
True.. Some of those less creative producers who mimic the popular sound of the moment may eventually turn out good and put out great stuff once they've evolved/grown/matured in their music and ideas.
indeed, and some of those people might be aping others, but if they are good producers and capable of aping a sound - it doesn't make them bad, just yet to find their niche.

Musical history is full of musical magpies who made a living out of sounding like someone esle then making the sound their own, talent doesn't always = originality, take Ray Charles, a lot of the mowtown brigade and more recently - people like Jamie lidell, who's early techno is amazingly original, but as a singer - he sounds like Stevie wonder or onw of the old mowtown lot, I'd still say he's one of the most talented singers around, a great creative flare in terms of how he presents his shows and yet at the heart of it all, he's really just aping a sound that's been done before - just perhaps with not as many bells and whistles.

Dubstep - one of supposedly the most original genres to his our ears in some time, well - anyone hwo's listened to Adrian sherwood, rythym and sound, T++, Scorn etc for a while wil ltell you that just isn't strictly true, it's simply a soundbyte thrown about by music journo's and bloggers to generate excitement for their commentary IMO , either that or it's the naievety of the artists involved, take plastician (rephlex) for example, he was well young when he started out, and was calling himself plasticman :) hahah

Similarly monolake has got a lot to thank people like Manuel Gottschring, Monoton and of course Basic Channel and weirdly enough I still hear people heap the praise of 'innovative and original' onto him, and well - in a ways it's true, he is, particularly in the area of sound design, synthesis and designing tools , but as far as the sound he's creating - it does hark back to the above.

So I think originality is something people focus on too much sometimes, I mean obviously it's desireable, but It's not the be all and end all and I don't think fledgeling producers should be put off by things like that, I think I'd be a bit more simplistic - Is it sh1t, or is it decent, If it's decent, and sounds like someone else a little, then there's room to improve, if it's just sh1t, then it's a waste of time.

I think the problem Pheek has been having is that a lot of the Demo's have simply been Sh1t, and I know for a fact there's a lot of minimal producers out there producing limpid, lifeless, sterile sh1t, it's exactly like when Prime saturated the market with all this loopy, tribal techno years back, it set a precedent for a brand of sh1t unimaginative techno which all sounded the same but sadly was too watered down to even be considered to be equal to the stuff It was ripping off.

Techno has always had a history of self-referencing, anyone who's followed it since the 1st wave of Detroit will tell you that, but the thing is - it was always the case that if it stood up with the rest - it was fine, if it was substandard - it was no use.

But of course it was always better if it was original AND decent.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I say dont listen to sh!t and dont try and do sh!t. Just put the sounds you like down on the track without referenceing to aything and see who likes it.

People take this sh!t way too serious. WHy do you =need to replicate others when there is a million sounds and patterns out there. Dont worry about what sells. I have found with my own productions the only ones that sell are the ones that Im not worried about trying to sell. The ones where I let loose and just go wherever the track takes me without a destination in mind.

Just have some fun and dont worry about what label to sign it to until its done.
My Best Friend
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by My Best Friend »

i've been tired of this crap sound since about 6 months after discovering techno (2005).

although it's very hard to discover a different sound if you don't get into the whole culture of raw techno or anything contrary to the "minimal" sound - for me it took a few years to find "my" place in techno and especially house.
http://www.myspace.com/noahgibsonmusic

"It’s all about the music. No stories around, nothing that takes away the attention. Pure techno." - Marcel Dettmann
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

wow, allot of pages , also took me some time to read it...

what happened to the love of music,
it's not in my mind to make music for money, and if so copying a sound of someone else is the last thing i will ever think of...
actually I'm totally not busy with the hype thing around it... have never realy checked beatport before... i just love vinyl 8)
barely ever listen to minimal dj sets, only time i really listen to minimal is when i look for records to play when i dj...and when i buy something it's not something that i will think of like, hey, that will work for the people cause this and that dj are playing it, i think, hey this would work for me, kind of selfish, but hey, that's just who i am. :)

Hype, i really dislike that word
Like here in Antwerp, almost everything are is about a hype , really feel like an alien here... (lucky there are still some white lights in that dark space)

so i just follow my nose in this minimal world, try to avoid that hype thing...
also when i make music, i just start, don't really know where i will end up, just get somewhere by trying stuff, not copying... really disgusted by copying

and my god, that top chart of beatport, horrible, looks like it was all created by the same producer... really awful didn't that it was going so bad with the creativity...

<b>respect for those who try to bring love for the music, and not love for the wallet</b> :!:
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

for me, |Monoblok|Chin Pum Fuerra!| Kipp Minn| is a good example of where edm should go.
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

Oh, I got it now.
Yeah. Gross.
Ironic, really, that something so useless to a song's danceability would end up in "minimal" music.
For those of you who are still confused . . .
Look up Berg Nixon on beatport. "Box Escape" is the record, "The Depths" is the track. It's just a plunky noise pitched all over.
It's added because the track would be really boring without it.
I don't know if this is grounds for an internet argument, though.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

#1 - that track was released over 2.5 years ago
#2 - don't think that's the sound Pheek's on about

#3 - topic is dead, let's move on please