Do people at your work/school know that you produce music?

- ask away
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Do people at your work/school know that you produce music?

Post by xxmmxx »

I'm curious because I tend to keep it a secret at work... and why? Well, I know that the people I work with have completely different tastes in music (top40, pop, rock, etc.) and they would not 'get' electronic music at all, especially minimal with all the clicks and pops and no singing and 8 minute tracks and all that. I simply don't want to enter a conversation where they will ask all their ignorant stupid questions and criticise my music even though they wouldn't know what they're talking about.

I know I am sensitive about other peoples' comments because my music is such a personal thing to me. It's such a powerful expression of what i like and who I am as a person, that if someone doesn't understand it then they obviously don't understand me. The last thing I need is for people to be picking on me about the music I like/produce, especially if they dont even know the genre.
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

Of course i talk about it ... And most of the time there is lots of people that make jokes ( especially when they only know techno music and it's teh first time they listen mnml ) on music i like or music i produce...
But for me this is funny i don't care,
and sometimes there is good surprise by seing that someone who come from a really different (and sometimes really opposite) musical world could find interesting elements in the music you like or make ... it depend of people !
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I tell people. At first they always assume it is trance because in America techno means trance to a non listener of edm. I explain to the it is nothing like what they are thinking of and make it a point to get them to listen to it.

Ussually they either like it or accept it once they know its not the cheesy sh!t they thought techno was from tv commercials.

Edumucation builds new listeners.
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

Nope.. Because they all think making music is one of the hardest things in the world and obviously I'm not a sound engineer and therefore cant make music!
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Do people at your work/school know that you produce musi

Post by kristofason »

xxmmxx wrote:I'm curious because I tend to keep it a secret at work... and why? Well, I know that the people I work with have completely different tastes in music (top40, pop, rock, etc.) and they would not 'get' electronic music at all, especially minimal with all the clicks and pops and no singing and 8 minute tracks and all that. I simply don't want to enter a conversation where they will ask all their ignorant stupid questions and criticise my music even though they wouldn't know what they're talking about.

I know I am sensitive about other peoples' comments because my music is such a personal thing to me. It's such a powerful expression of what i like and who I am as a person, that if someone doesn't understand it then they obviously don't understand me. The last thing I need is for people to be picking on me about the music I like/produce, especially if they dont even know the genre.
i think u need to toughen up a bit mate,i nearly cried my eyes out when i read this...are you being bullied in the workplace?
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

kristofason wrote:
xxmmxx wrote:I'm curious because I tend to keep it a secret at work... and why? Well, I know that the people I work with have completely different tastes in music (top40, pop, rock, etc.) and they would not 'get' electronic music at all, especially minimal with all the clicks and pops and no singing and 8 minute tracks and all that. I simply don't want to enter a conversation where they will ask all their ignorant stupid questions and criticise my music even though they wouldn't know what they're talking about.

i think u need to toughen up a bit mate,i nearly cried my eyes out when i read this...are you being bullied in the workplace?

I'm not getting bullied, but negative comments from ignorant people make me feel bad, and I don't want to feel bad about something that i enjoy doing. I shouldn't have to justify my hobby to anyone, especially to ignorant, boring people that have no understanding of creativity.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

i was havin the crack.

i get the same mate dont worry but to me its like water off a ducks back..who gives a fck if some 57 year old woman is tellin me that it all sounds the same?She sits at home at the weekends watchin television in silence with her husband while im out havin it to wicked music!
Take one of your tunes in and show them that,theyl either praise it or tell u its fuckin sh!t!Who cares?
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

Just answer their questions in a proper and informative way. If you have confidence in your music, most people will follow and respect you. The few that don`t really wouldn't care either way.