Grafic Compressor

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

from what I've read, at the price of a cheap(ish) hardware compressor you will get much better quality from a software compressor in a similar price range.

don't quote me on it, but I've definitely read of people being dissapointed with cheap hardware compressors, and also read of skillful mastering engineers being very happy with software compressors in the same price range.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

get a cheap tube compressor and swap the tubes for really nice one for another 30 bucks! You will NOT be able to top it with any vst.
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

Ruso wrote:cheap tube compressor
It sounds like exactly what I'm after.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Fabfilter Pro-C, quality and best visualisation ever (:
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

look at the berhinger tube compressor
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

Ruso wrote:look at the berhinger tube compressor
I totally agree. Those vst emulations can't possibly compare to something like that - after you change the tubes to the 30 dollar ones!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

wtf wrote:
Ruso wrote:look at the berhinger tube compressor
I totally agree. Those vst emulations can't possibly compare to something like that - after you change the tubes to the 30 dollar ones!
I beg to differ. I have several hardware compressors, the most expensive being a drawmer and none of them are as good as some of the software I have. I'm talking about the Sonnox Oxford Dynamics Suite here, I'd say you really need to spend upwards to near a grand to make the leap in quality when it comes to what software compressors are like these days.

I have never been a fan of Behringer after finding out how poor their build quality is, so I don't buy their products anymore. I don't see how a tube compressor at that price is going to give you any advantages over quality software. I don't want to start a soft v hard debate but I used to be a die hard hardware freak, I just don't believe that to be the case any longer unless you really know what you are looking for. Forget Behringer though, they tried to push that 2200 preamp claiming the 'valves' warm up your sound and guess what? There were 3 LED's there and the claimed 12AX7 dual triode vacuum tube is lit by those LED's.

Ok, I haven't heard the 'tube' compressor, I presume we are talking about the T1952 here? But there's no way on earth I'd be expecting 'Vintage' or 'Warm' from that unit.
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

I was just joking (...being a jerk)