shlomi strikes again

- open
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

'gameover' wrote:since when groove la chord is minimal?
btw, check this:
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF320341-01-01-01.mp3
sounds like quo vadis, almost the same idea.
:shock:

i just feel embarrassed for whoever "produced" (and i use the word lightly) and released this.

still i think the whole Aril Brikka vs Shlomi Aber sh!t could and should have been kept private...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

people will continue to do such things...

in the end: sometimes all you have is your voice..

word / honor and the (want) to have people know (your) truth..vs. always having to talk about it.

posting a blog (once) can be the end of all things vs talking about it to 1000 people the next 5 years..

edit:

perhaps I should have done that with tesh club and seth making up things from mars...

but then again: Its only going backwards even if.... but at the same time I would have said my peace and left it alone...
bubbleguuuum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bubbleguuuum »

Looks like the faster path to celebrity for an obscure producer is to release a copy of well known track. Instant $$$, fame and success as people love to discuss this !
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

they sound similar but they're definitely exactly not the same
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

apanell wrote:they sound similar but they're definitely exactly not the same
Yes I agree. Dont know why so many people are getting uptight about this. If you look at the whole genre of DubTechno it all sounds the same anyways. All he has done is place a tone in the same place and now people are saying he has copied it - how pathetic.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

::BLM:: wrote:
Yes I agree. Dont know why so many people are getting uptight about this. If you look at the whole genre of DubTechno it all sounds the same anyways. All he has done is place a tone in the same place and now people are saying he has copied it - how pathetic.
I'm afraid - it's because actually they are correct (about the phylyps sampling one) you are quite wrong to say all he's done is place a tone in the same place, how closely have you been listening to the pieces ? It's highly disrespectful of you to come into this discussion without having any knowledge of the subject (other than having listened to a few M series records or whatever, goign by seeing your comments on this on other boards) and then use words like 'pathetic'. To you - all 'dub techno' (?) Sounds the same, to the people that follow it - it doesn't - you are a sensible adult, I presume so I don't need to argue that point with you I hope.

The background percussive loop has been directly lifted from a Basic Channel Track, there's no question about that, if it was a simple 4 bar loop - it would be harder to tell, in fact, you could put that down to co-incidece : but he's lifted far more, there's a couple of chord stabs and FX fills which match the original EXACTLY as well as the drums, hats and masked claps, he'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that, sure - it''d still be similar, but there would be no other references to check.

He's covered the on beat clap/stab by putting some sort of synth stab on the beat - mimicing the original but using a different sound, he's also processed it a little to warm it up a bit, yes - it doesn't sound EXACTLY the same, but that doesn't stop it being instantly recogniseable as a sample.

I would be 100% confident with this appraisal, and I've heard a lot of similar sounding stuff in my time, I've listened to and played techno/house/electronic music for over a decade, I'm well aware of the 'self referencing' that goes on, in fact - I've got many records which blatantly sample others and many which use similar sounds, and of course lots of stuff sounds the same, but this is VERY different, he's directly lifted a lot more than a four bar loop here and used it verbatim with no re-edit, only a bit of processing and then masked it in his own sounds.

For Groove La Chord it's very different, he's masked the drums completely (and I suspect If he did steal anything - it wasn't the drums) If he did use a sample, the chords are at least reprogrammed in a number of ways. I suspect at most he may have lifted a chord and resequenced it, if that, he may be telling the truth, but given that the's now gone and ruined all the credibility he had by blatantly ripping Basic Channel, I'd be tempted not to try and defend that any further, preset or not, I don't care, that's on his consience, not mine.

No one's saying incidentally that it's totally bad news to sample things, but there's ways of going about that and ways of presenting the finished output , and this is basically an unlicenced bootled masquarading as a fully fledged official artist release, you might not hear it (and I'm mightily surprised to hear you say that, which is why I'd urge you to have a closer listen to what's happening with the FX and the little chord stabs.) But anyone who's ever listened closely to that record does I'm afraid.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

AVX23 wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
I'm afraid - it's because actually they are correct (about the phylyps sampling one) you are quite wrong to say all he's done is place a tone in the same place, how closely have you been listening to the pieces ? It's highly disrespectful of you to come into this discussion without having any knowledge of the subject (other than having listened to a few M series records or whatever, goign by seeing your comments on this on other boards) and then use words like 'pathetic'. To you - all 'dub techno' (?) Sounds the same, to the people that follow it - it doesn't - you are a sensible adult, I presume so I don't need to argue that point with you I hope.

The background percussive loop has been directly lifted from a Basic Channel Track, there's no question about that, if it was a simple 4 bar loop - it would be harder to tell, in fact, you could put that down to co-incidece : but he's lifted far more, there's a couple of chord stabs and FX fills which match the original EXACTLY as well as the drums, hats and masked claps, he'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that, sure - it''d still be similar, but there would be no other references to check.

He's covered the on beat clap/stab by putting some sort of synth stab on the beat - mimicing the original but using a different sound, he's also processed it a little to warm it up a bit, yes - it doesn't sound EXACTLY the same, but that doesn't stop it being instantly recogniseable as a sample.

I would be 100% confident with this appraisal, and I've heard a lot of similar sounding stuff in my time, I've listened to and played techno/house/electronic music for over a decade, I'm well aware of the 'self referencing' that goes on, in fact - I've got many records which blatantly sample others and many which use similar sounds, and of course lots of stuff sounds the same, but this is VERY different, he's directly lifted a lot more than a four bar loop here and used it verbatim with no re-edit, only a bit of processing and then masked it in his own sounds.

For Groove La Chord it's very different, he's masked the drums completely (and I suspect If he did steal anything - it wasn't the drums) If he did use a sample, the chords are at least reprogrammed in a number of ways. I suspect at most he may have lifted a chord and resequenced it, if that, he may be telling the truth, but given that the's now gone and ruined all the credibility he had by blatantly ripping Basic Channel, I'd be tempted not to try and defend that any further, preset or not, I don't care, that's on his consience, not mine.

No one's saying incidentally that it's totally bad news to sample things, but there's ways of going about that and ways of presenting the finished output , and this is basically an unlicenced bootled masquarading as a fully fledged official artist release, you might not hear it (and I'm mightily surprised to hear you say that, which is why I'd urge you to have a closer listen to what's happening with the FX and the little chord stabs.) But anyone who's ever listened closely to that record does I'm afraid.
**Edit**

Ok I guess it was a bit harsh in saying all dubtechno sounds the same. I'm sorry and I didnt want to cause offence. But IMO a lot of this sort of music follows the same forumula, which is why I think these two tracks sound similar.

You're saying that he has totally ripped of the beat and then hid the fact that he has done this by placing a tone over the top of the one that was already there? I have just been listening closely and I still dont think its a direct rip. I think he has copied the same forumla for sure as there are loads of little things that give it away, but as far as the sounds being the same I wouldnt agree to that. In the orginal and Shlomi's version you have the shakers and then a smaller one being triggered once in a bar. The bassline is different with the first couple of notes being the same, but Shlomi has added extra notes. The kick isnt the same either, I have just sampled the kick myself and it seems to be the same one he has used in another track but a little bit filtered.

I can understand what you're saying, but I really dont think he has just took a loop and then made a tune around it, which is what you're saying he has done. There are two many sounds within the loop that sound different to suggest that its a direct rip. Unless he has taken it from the very start of the track, but I dont know what that sounds like and I'm going from the Juno clip.

Anyhow like I said, I didnt want to cause offence so sorry if I did. I just wanted to say that I think the formula for this sort of music is very similer which is why you might think its a copy. I really cant get my head around why he would do it, especially after the last one - it makes no sense.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Fair play mate, well you are quite entitled to your opinion, just being objective, this has nothing to do with dub techno being good, bad or indifferent :) I could argue all day on the merits of what people are calling 'dub techno' (It's actually just a dub informed take on detroit techno and there's a lot more of a range of it kicking about than you might think - including new variations which do make marked progress and change in direction on the sound).

Anyway - The easiest way to spot that this is a sample is not to sample and compare the kick drum, as I've said - he's processed and layered it, you won't be able to analyse it that way - you need to listen to like a whole 8-16 bar phrase and listen to the little chord stabs - they are EXTREMELY subtle, also I can't remember if it's a snare or a clap , but it's drenched in a long tail reverb which is cut short and it drops every so often, when you hear the way it's working with the loop - you can clearly see it's far too close timing wise to be anything other than a doctored sample of a large chunk of that track.

If you read what I was saying - then if he had used a 4 bar loop - he could have passed it as a similarly themed loop, but the fact that all the little touches also match up make it too close to be co-incidence.

Later on If I get time - I will take the samples and try and articulate it better If I can, but like I say - it's not the actual rythym part that makes it so obvious, it's the timing of the FX and stabs.

Listen to arrange and process a million times and you will see what I mean - it's hacked up a bit on that and v obvious when you hear it mixed with other tracks, that clap and stab are as much a trademark of that track than the full rythym as they break up the monotony of the hypnotic riddem part.