mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kom »

this will move on to another sound genre 8) TECHNO-LOGY
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

JackNine wrote:The best part is when he touches the vinyl and says "People think this is interesting?" as he moves it back and forth.

He's so right. I don't understand the infatuation with vinyl anymore. For such a forward-thinking genre of music, people sure do love holding on to ancient technology.
It's DJing anyway you look at it, not rocket science with a minor in computer science I mean jesus the music isn't THAT advanced that you need to do all that sht are people really this bored??(if you have the means,all the power to you I guess) and whats even worse is you going through all that and it sounds like garbage? When you can just play off 2 turntables/cd decks maybe a third deck and maybe even an efx or a grabber and have the place rocking. The crowd is there to dance and hear music and personally I like it smooth technically speaking.
I listened/watched a youtube vid here on the forum of supposedly (as it was titled) Richie destroying and it was a great track that he was playing and then destroyed it when he started putting all these horrid loops/ efx / horseshit on it and this gets people to put their hands in the air and whip out their camera phones I mean c'mon!
I see the pros of serato and digital as to not carry all the heavy record bags it makes sense to me as a traveling dj but all this "setup" seems ridiculous(not to mention a great? marketing ploy) to me and what's the kick drum in the asshole is... it sounds like hell. OK I know it's new and in the experimental phase but I'll stick with ancient technology for now. Sorry to all the "forward thinkers" I offend but it just plain silly to me. Less business more music!!! :idea:
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Yeah, there is no need in going on about it tho. What we have here are generations of poor listeners. I would rather hear music than efx, and I think that watching kids play on their laptops is a REALLY poor product that I refuse to pay for, but there are a lot of ideologies out there and there is jack you or I are going to do about it. Just do your own thing and ignore the current state of techno.
stefspijk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by stefspijk »

can't call him a dj anymore, because he doesn't use any (vinyl) disks...it's pure software now....in detroit they call it pj's, push jockeys....because the things they only do is pushing buttons...

i love technology, but with music, just give me some sweet 'n old vinyl!
The Hague...soulful city
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Celltek wrote:
@ PsyTox

Are there any Tom Danzig sets floating around the web? I would love to hear this!
Hi Celltek: not that I know off, but I'll be coming along with him when he plays in Frankfurt in a few weeks, I'll do some filming and maybe record the set too if Tom doesn't mind.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Coog wrote:It's DJing anyway you look at it, not rocket science with a minor in computer science I mean jesus the music isn't THAT advanced that you need to do all that sht are people really this bored??(if you have the means,all the power to you I guess) and whats even worse is you going through all that and it sounds like garbage? When you can just play off 2 turntables/cd decks maybe a third deck and maybe even an efx or a grabber and have the place rocking. The crowd is there to dance and hear music and personally I like it smooth technically speaking.
I listened/watched a youtube vid here on the forum of supposedly (as it was titled) Richie destroying and it was a great track that he was playing and then destroyed it when he started putting all these horrid loops/ efx / horseshit on it and this gets people to put their hands in the air and whip out their camera phones I mean c'mon!
I see the pros of serato and digital as to not carry all the heavy record bags it makes sense to me as a traveling dj but all this "setup" seems ridiculous(not to mention a great? marketing ploy) to me and what's the kick drum in the asshole is... it sounds like hell. OK I know it's new and in the experimental phase but I'll stick with ancient technology for now. Sorry to all the "forward thinkers" I offend but it just plain silly to me. Less business more music!!! :idea:
I agree with you but the problem with the "less business more music" mentality is that if everyone just continues doing what they're doing, we stay in the same place and it gets boring real fast. This is what happened in the late 90s/early 00s when the scene almost died. Someone's gotta try new things, somewhere, sometime. It creates new possibilities like FinalScratch/Serato and Ableton Live... projects of creative minds thinking of "a better way."

Let's see what the next five years bring us.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Technology like Traktor, Final Scratch, Abeleton, etc is all fairly new - it's going to take people time to really figure them out, push them to their limits and start pushing them to their limits and making things sound great / polished in the process.

If we keep holding onto this 'vinyl is king' mindset, things will just start to stagnate and not go anywhere. I'd rather see some innovation in how people are going about things, even if it does result in a few flops-along the way.

For every 'success' that you have when experimenting, you've probably had a dozen or so failures. Not everything is going to sound like gold the first time round.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

stefspijk wrote:can't call him a dj anymore, because he doesn't use any (vinyl) disks...it's pure software now....in detroit they call it pj's, push jockeys....because the things they only do is pushing buttons...
all they are doing is pushing buttons?!

what a ridiculous thing to say.

its like saying, all the (vinyl) dj is doing is beatmatching (anyone can learn to beatmatch) being able to beatmatch doesnt make you godly, most of the DJs who use ableton/traktor can beatmatch anyway...