Richie´s Setup ...

- open
SLICES
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SLICES »

Its definitly interesting, and what i say don´t mean that you can´t play amazing sets with digital or that Richie isn´t playing amazing sets anymore. It was an example.
I say in general it makes a set not better or more interesting as with vinyl or with Serato and no EFX.
I think it´s more interesting for the DJs itself as for the crowd on the Dancefloor.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

patrick bateman wrote:
gillsans wrote:Quite innovative IMO. Coming from vinyl djing, it actually made me look at digital djing in with more open eyes.
Currently at Serato/vinyl controlled, I find this interesting too, and convinced me that this/something like this, surely is the future and maybe not as far away as I previous thought it would be.
I definitely agree with you guys. I'm still based in a vinyl/analog hardware set-up & have resisted going digital for a variety of reasons. Seeing some of the posibilities here has quite sparked some curiosity & interest. I can also see a set getting very watered down if too many options are employed.
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

i saw ppl that is around 15 years old doing the same thing or even better than richie.
and the live thing, which i think it is the most interesting of all... there was narod niki before that, so nothing new here.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

I heard one of Richies sets a couple of weeks ago and for me it sounded like Bass off, Bass in, EFX in, EFX off but much to often so that there
was no real flow. And the crowd was also not really into enthusiastic dancing ;-)
It´s probably more exciting for the DJ to play with all the tools. But for the crowd?

thats exactly what hes been like the last 2 times ive seen him. rubbish. teh crowd loved it to. i found it to be repetative and tiresome.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

SLICES wrote:And the crowd was also not really into enthusiastic dancing ;-) It´s probably more exciting for the DJ to play with all the tools. But for the crowd?
I think quite often we forget that we are their to dj for the crowd. I understand that going to see Richie or the Konakt show you are going to see performers but for the most part people just want to dance. They dont care what technology your using as long as their having a good time.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

I think the setup is very cool though I have to agree with Slices and wonder if all the buttons, efx and other functions are there to enhance the experience, or just part of dj-trickery.

Lets look at the history. M-Nus has never shown anything about their setup and kept the methods of that cool delay effect well in the dark too. So why this video? I think this video was made to counter the many critics of Rich's the digital set-up by showing all how complex it is. Oh well, I'll be at the Contakt event next month so I hope it will be good and not how some of you describe it here.

@ PsyTox

Are there any Tom Danzig sets floating around the web? I would love to hear this!
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dazza »

go to his blog on his myspace and he has videos telling you how he uses traktor scratch and his allen and heath setup.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

soapz wrote:A major flaw with that setup IMO is that because he's using all four channels of the mixer for all the decks he is unable to actually mix a loop/effects with the running tracks. All he can do is put an effect over the top of the track, and instead of grabbing a loop to mix with the track to add intensity say, he can only turn the actual track into a loop. Ive heard him out playing with his loops and its so obvious he's looping it seems like a backward step. Especially when he's changing the loop length between one bar, then 3/4... etc. Maybe to complete this setup, some other channels would be needed to be able to mix the effects and add some subtlety/ less copy and paste sounding.
agree with this...

for all his talk of being creative, i cant help thinking that if he used ableton and maybe a zero 8 he would give himself much more creative freedom, and still be "hands on" so to speak...