A good all around MIDI controller for.....

- ask away
Unik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unik »

Audio Dependent wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:
livecollective wrote:bitstream 3x

http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/

the best.
+1

unbelievable support. i dont know any other developer that constantly listens to user input to update the product.
I'm getting a bigger and bigger hardon when looking and reading about this controller.... might easily by the one that I buy...
me too! i got the remote sl zero at the moment and i had it for about a year. its a really good studio controller but imo it just hasn't been built well enough for live situations - some of the continuous pots are broken(they have become completely erratic). its also big and clumsy and doesn't it into any of my flight cases so i end up wrapping it in bubble and sticking it in a bag. in theory it is a great controller, auto mapping is good - particularly with reason - and the normal mapping is very easy. i just don't want to gig with it any more.

now the bitstream looks good to me. i'm just a bit concerned about its lack of buttons. also, anyone got any experience with its more 'advanced' features like the lfo, motion sampling and the arpeggiator?

i think the biggest sl zero problem is the fact that has just 2 knobs in vertical position. and one is endless the other dont. so if you wanna use it to mix in live. it's not a good configuration.

you have also Xone 3D/4D.

but with the price of Xone you can buy Vestax VCM-600. we can agree that its not the same thing. but VMC600. has also good potential. :)

for more simple midi controllers. you can buy the old school Doepfer Drehbank. if you want the real midi controller. with 64 knobs. 2 banks. so 128knobs. is this one. the only problem. no usb. just midi
Troia | Composure Uk | Beatfreak | Au Records
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Ruso wrote:I will HIGHLY recommend looking into a korg microKONTROL or KONTROL49. They have a magnificent amount of midi possibilities. It's got 9 screens which you can customize, 9 sliders, 9 encoders, 16 pads and a joystick. But it gets better, it has 12 scenes so you can have all the controls change in every scene. (If you don't know or don't understand what this means... it means when you switch scenes, ALL the controls switch to a completely different lay out.) So you could custumize it to tweak every important parameter of every instrument. It also supports native mode if you're a programmer. You can gain full control over all of its parameters like what the screens say, what color to light them. Essentially you could make step sequencers, groove boxes, you name it, if you got some extensive midi knowledge and are good with either programming or something like synth maker.

I own the microKONTROL and I've tried many different controllers. This one does the trick. Oh ya and don't get discouraged by intel mac problems that people talk about.... it's all bs 99 percent of them do not read the manual and don't properly install drivers.

Almost forgot, the sliders are great and the encoders are presice.... the thing has aluminum all around which looks great and also protects it. The keyboard is very expressive, they're half size keys(on the microKONTROL) so the thing is very compact and pretty lightweight. It fits in with other gear really well because it has straight edges and the sockets for wires are grouped together. There's also a cool feature where you turn a small knob behind it and it changes the angle from which the screens are readable. So you can switch from sitting to standing and read the screens with a twist of a knob.

Here's a pic:

and the kontrol49
I recently purchased the microKontrol, too bad it's discontinued. Can't say I know what you're talking about with the ANGLE thing, I'll have to look into this. this is a very solid piece compared to the plasticy cheap feel of the popular oxygens/ozone's /U-33's etc. the minikeys SUCK in my opinion - but I have fat fingers...

2nd the recommendation
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I wouldn't recommend the MicroKort, have had it, and sold it quite fast again..
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:I wouldn't recommend the MicroKort, have had it, and sold it quite fast again..

I agree with you Patrick.

I also have to say, a lot of people here are just writing about what they have. Thats all good and well, but to have an opinion on why some controllers are better than others you need to have used a plethora of them.

I have gone through many a controller before settling in with bitstream.

Someone was talking about having to wrap their novation in bubblewrap, well the bitstream is about as durable as they come. I have stepped on it countless times, its fallen off tables at shows, and there isnt even a scratch on its metal body. Not to mention the people putting it out realize that we will travel with our midi controller thats why they include a metal case.

Again I'll reiterate, this controller will pay for itself if you are a gigging musician. You get what you pay for with it, while with other more mainstream brands you get some plastic bullshit with a name plastered on it.
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

remote zero SL

love mine!