Hands off Mixing : Jeff Milligan DJing with the Nintendo Wii

- ask away
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Red Kite wrote:
Castronova wrote:Can anyone recommend a good site to learn those turntablism maneuvers?
Actually Jeff described everything in the interview. You just need to beatmatch everything together and then cut with the faders between the tracks. In theory not the complicated. But you need to practice, and practice a lot, because you need to get really fast with what you are doing. And very few DJs are willing to practice these days.

And in some way they are right about it, because 99% of the audience don't give a fck about DJ skills. Like Jeff said: Too many bad DJs lowering the standards. If noone presents anything else but playing music, then people will stop caring for anything else. Most don't even care for the music it seems. Maybe if some more DJs would start pulling off some stunts when playing, like in Japan, awareness would change, but everything's going the opposite direction.
Yeah, I played alongside some pretty skillfull DJs in Japan. The thing about Japanese people is that they tend to find one thing they like and they devote their entire identity to that single type of talent/subculture/knowledge. Western people tend to base their identities on as many unique things as they can handle so they can be unique individuals, rather than concentrating on one thing. Of course this is a huge generalization with plenty of exceptions, but it's a simple version of what I've noticed.

Well, I already do that mixing stuff with the faders that Jeff is doing, fucking up everyone's songs beyond recognition -- usually with two CD decks and a drum machine. I'm interested in learning more about hip hop-based turntablism techniques... beat juggling and all that nonsense. Does anyone have any experience in this and know the best place to begin? I'm Googling it of course, but it helps to hear advice from a human...
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

wow, fantastic interview. ive never heard him play, but have checked out a recorded mix. wasnt really my thing, btu i totally respect his approach to it.

fck vinyl!
freeeeeee
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Der geile Ami wrote:wow, fantastic interview. ive never heard him play, but have checked out a recorded mix. wasnt really my thing, btu i totally respect his approach to it.

fck vinyl!
I have known Jeff for 10 years now, and he is a nice and cool guy for sure.
I have seen/heard him play 5-6 times I think, and for me his style is a bit hit or miss.
Sometimes he surely is rocking the place 200% and other times it just get a bit boring with this fast fader action constantly...
But nice to see someone with a different approach to things for sure!

Thumbs up Jeff if you're reading this.
theory
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Hands off Mixing : Jeff Milligan DJing with the Nintendo

Post by theory »

[quote]What other
techno/houseturntablist
would you recommend to see?[/quote]

ben sims (: the leggend
play minimal-live maximal

www.myspace.com/rewrited
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hands off Mixing : Jeff Milligan DJing with the Nintendo

Post by patrick bateman »

theory wrote:
What other
techno/houseturntablist
would you recommend to see?
ben sims (: the leggend

True true !
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Cool, never even heard of him before. Thanks.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Q-bert, hands down the best turntablist I've ever seen - him playing an electro set is something to behold.

Thomas Krome is also pretty handy on the dex from a techno point of view, but I haven't seen him in years, he was very good when we got him over to Edinburgh.

The ultimate on the techno tip is probably mills tho, his mixing us unreal when he's on form, it's hard to really appreciate him from the crap footage you normally see, or things like the exhibitionist, which is a bit tepid for me, but I've seen him up close and personal and saw exactly why they called him the wizard.

I can't quite get into this 'mnml' turntablism, in particular I couldn't quite get what Jeff Milligan is trying to show us here, I didn't really rate it as true 'turntablism' he barely touched the decks other than to beatmatch the records, I liked what he was doing with the faders (impressive for techno perhaps , but not so when compared to some hip-hop DJs) and it did have a flow, musically it was reasonably interesting as well for the style, but I dunno, all seemed very clinical, the jury is still out for me, but sure - he's pretty good, I appreciate what he's done, just not getting too excited, he barely touched the turntables, which led me to ask , what was the point in doing this on dex, he could do all of this as a proper live set using machines or multiple outs from a laptop and perhaps he might even be able to take it to the next level, the wii interface really isn't that crazy - he's not really doing much interesting with it which couldn't be done with another interface.

I hope I'm not putting it down too much, that's not what I'm trying to say, I think I just see a greater potential for this guy's talent without using gimmiks like a wii to do not very much other than browse tracks (or so it seems).
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

This is a great interview!
I like a little bit of scratching, cuts, doubles in the mix.

8)