ableton ouput issues

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

ableton ouput issues

Post by livecollective »

I am noticing for some reason the last week, when I have a project open whenever I make sound it crackles. Lightly, but still there. I notice its only in ableton, and its not specific to one audio card i use. I have tried three, and at varying buffer rates, and I cannot seem to get rid of the crackles.

:/

makes for a shite live pa i'll say that much.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hmmm...did you already try to update live? (current version is 7.0.10 i think)...
and is it a laptop? does the same happen when you use it with the battery?
could it have something to do with electricity?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ableton ouput issues

Post by hydrogen »

livecollective wrote:I am noticing for some reason the last week, when I have a project open whenever I make sound it crackles. Lightly, but still there. I notice its only in ableton, and its not specific to one audio card i use. I have tried three, and at varying buffer rates, and I cannot seem to get rid of the crackles.

:/

makes for a shite live pa i'll say that much.
are you using a lot of audio clips?

defrag your harddrive. and if you can use a good defragger where you can specify that all your music goes on the outer rings of the disk. Not sure where you can do this for mac.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Ok so update, it is a macbook laptop, its running bootcamp and i am not using many audio clips.

For instance, I open a new project, and even if I just open up the mic or line in on a channel, and start to play an instrument I can hear cracklin. I have checked it with just audio clip projects, and projects that are all vsts. Its the same. At first I thought it was a cpu/clocking issue, but after many restarts nothing changed.

I am going to defragg it. Anyone recommend good defrags?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

one other question,
are you clipping some channels? or are some instruments / effects clipping.
I noticed that if one element of your chain is clipping, even before it reached the channel mixer some crackles and bad distortion can appear. Live really doesn't like being put in the red.
I've resolved this by putting all the channels to -12 db as well as the master channel. I also make sure nothing is clipping @ any stage.

Seems this got worse with live 7.10
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

hydrogen wrote:.
and if you can use a good defragger where you can specify that all your music goes on the outer rings of the disk.
can you tell me why on the outer rings?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

nospin wrote:
and if you can use a good defragger where you can specify that all your music goes on the outer rings of the disk.
program files remain the same, music files change all the time. if you have your music files on the outer rings your program (application) files will remain compact = less need to defrag your drive and the application will have a better performance
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

nospin wrote:
Data reads are faster on the outer parts of the disk because its a larger surface but it takes the same amount of time to spin that the center does. So you can read/write more data per revolution. this equals speed.

Livecollective... i don't have any idea of good defrag programs for mac. actually now that i think about this i think the mac file system may auto organize itself, making defragging a bit obsolete. (Somebody else may comment on that though)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest