[TSULTRA] Yann Tiersen & Jay Haze - Comptine d'un autre

- wax
Go For What you Know
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Go For What you Know »

Ok it feels a bit like Jay just put a beat loop on the original track but the result sounds good to me.
I didn't read any complaints about the RAL record with the track NIN that was very very close to the original from nina simone. Maybe because it was related to Ricardo ?
Go for what you know Girl. Go For what you know.
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jay haze »

vermi wrote:not even close to the original track by yann tiersen.

feel jay could have put some more effort behind this, because for me it just sounds like he's only put on a beat, and "nothing" else.

sorry you feel that way. i purposely took the more "minimal" approach to honor the structure of the original composition.
i realize people might think i could have done more,
but on the other hand- to be honest, yann tiersen is famous for rejecting collobs(and re-edits or remixes of his work), he is a hugely succesful artist with nothing to gain at all by appearing with someone like me, financially or fame wise. i was quite honored he approved of my mix and i myself have seen the reaction it has emotionally on the club. please dont just bash it before you give it a listen in the club or with an open mind.
i would of course never try to "top" the original that is not the point. but i did want to bring this song to a different audience as i find it to be a totally brilliant comp. regardless thanks for listening.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Yann is a great artist. I cant wait to hear it in full.

@ jay are there any more interesting collabs in the making?
Contexterrior
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

full track

Post by Contexterrior »

full length track is streaming at http://myspace.com/tharealjayhaze
contexterrior.com | myspace.com/contexterrior
tuningspork.com | myspace.com/tuningsporkrecords
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Normally I love Jay's stuff, but I'm not feeling this.

I just think the original has some sad melancholy to it, perfectly grabbing Amelie Poulain's drama of being different than all others. IMO, the track sounds happier now, it has lost the drama.

It's just not the most convenient track to remix. When Luciano made the Amelie on Ice remixes, I loved them, because he took the more frivolous tracks and made cosy minimal house remixes out of them...

Anyway, nice try, but not my thing. Love the Saul Williams remix though...
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

jay haze wrote:
sorry you feel that way. i purposely took the more "minimal" approach to honor the structure of the original composition.
that's fair enough :)
jay haze wrote: i realize people might think i could have done more,
but on the other hand- to be honest, yann tiersen is famous for rejecting collobs(and re-edits or remixes of his work), he is a hugely succesful artist with nothing to gain at all by appearing with someone like me, financially or fame wise. i was quite honored he approved of my mix and i myself have seen the reaction it has emotionally on the club. please dont just bash it before you give it a listen in the club or with an open mind.
of course i'll give it a chance and check out the complete track. just wrote my opinion based on the sample, and it's not that your remix is bad or anything like that, it just sounded a bit "easy" (or what to call it based on the sample). but you've already mentioned why you approached it like that, and again, that's fair enough. people approach things from different angles, see things differently, so i won't say i'm right and you're wrong. :)
jay haze wrote: i would of course never try to "top" the original that is not the point. but i did want to bring this song to a different audience as i find it to be a totally brilliant comp. regardless thanks for listening.
i appreciate that you're honest with your intentions. no matter what i think after i've listened to the complete track i'm sure on that you will succeed in bringing the song to a different audience, and that is a good thing.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

I understand people's point of view here and of course the track doesn't have any crazy twist or anything but i think what Jay did is going to make this really efficient in a club. It doesn't need more IMHO. Even before his explanations, i felt that he wanted to honor Tiersen.

Its great that he left it as it is and just a beat... I have no problem with it and i'll play this. Simple and will work well, no doubt. :)