Polyrhythms..

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Polyrythm is ok, if used subtly, i just find it kills groove (sorry)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

hmnhh.

i definitely think it is easy to kill a groove with polyrhythm. but i also think it creates an access point for a whole new world of groove. in fact, if there isn't an interesting polyrhthm in a track when I'm dancing I overlay one in my head and body, cos it gets boring moving only between two points.

definitely a tricky balancing act, but done well. fck. i love it.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Polyrythm is ok, if used subtly, i just find it kills groove (sorry)

tell that to the east and west african tribes, they rage for days on one polyrhythm
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

maybe its more what ur used to.

african music can sound strange to western ears at the start, but after a few listens u can get into the feel of it more. likewise, making beats.

sure, it can killing a groove, but it can also make the groove. i suppose its about it being done right.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

livecollective wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Polyrythm is ok, if used subtly, i just find it kills groove (sorry)

tell that to the east and west african tribes, they rage for days on one polyrhythm
Yeah but do you dance to it in nightclubs?

I agree with Minimaltechnohouse. It's not for me, I find it a bit nonsensical and pointless. You can get all technical and 'arty' but it's too alienating for everybody except other chin-stroking producers who just want to out-do each other.

That's not to say I don't find it interesting and listenable, it's just that I don't think it's for me at all. There's still loads of groove in straight 4/4 I haven't explored yet without going wide of the mark. You can quite easily spread rhythms around that evolve and change over 4, 8, 16 and 32 bars in 4/4 which are just as interesting.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

AK wrote:
I agree with Minimaltechnohouse. It's not for me, I find it a bit nonsensical and pointless. You can get all technical and 'arty' but it's too alienating for everybody except other chin-stroking producers who just want to out-do each other.

That's not to say I don't find it interesting and listenable, it's just that I don't think it's for me at all. There's still loads of groove in straight 4/4 I haven't explored yet without going wide of the mark. You can quite easily spread rhythms around that evolve and change over 4, 8, 16 and 32 bars in 4/4 which are just as interesting.
i dont think thats necessarily fair to lump it into an "arty" or "technical" corner. There are so much western records over the last 50 years plus with polyr's that its not exactly like its pushing the boat out to a new frontier. Its just another element to bring to the table, it doesn't take a gifted producer to use them. And considering their heritige, its quite the opposite of the often stuffy, rigid western forms.

Its just a different way to do things, and the end result shouldn't alienate people. U can still dance to talking heads records, they often have polyr's.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote: Yeah but do you dance to it in nightclubs?

that's kind of harsh mate.

as I mentioned earlier, polyrhythms are good for my body and my brain. so much so that if , when I'm dancing, the main rhythmic focus is around 2 or 4 I get bored and imagine a polyrhythm to keep my fun level up.

i guess my point is that p/r is a million miles away from chin stroking. it works on a very immediate level on the body and the mind.

you don't need to push the boat out at all to get involved. just try a couple of elements in multiples of 3, 6 or 9 in your main 4/4 groove and see if you like it.

i guess there's nothing I can do to change anyone's internal preferences for things but definitely I'd like to counteract some of what you're saying. to me, there's nothing chin-strokey or cliquey about any it at all.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:
AK wrote: Yeah but do you dance to it in nightclubs?

that's kind of harsh mate.

as I mentioned earlier, polyrhythms are good for my body and my brain. so much so that if , when I'm dancing, the main rhythmic focus is around 2 or 4 I get bored and imagine a polyrhythm to keep my fun level up.

i guess my point is that p/r is a million miles away from chin stroking. it works on a very immediate level on the body and the mind.

you don't need to push the boat out at all to get involved. just try a couple of elements in multiples of 3, 6 or 9 in your main 4/4 groove and see if you like it.

i guess there's nothing I can do to change anyone's internal preferences for things but definitely I'd like to counteract some of what you're saying. to me, there's nothing chin-strokey or cliquey about any it at all.
There's no harshness in my post, I can't help it if I don't find something appealing. We all have different tastes and I was just expressing mine.

I tried some of the examples mentioned in this thread but I don't think it's something I'm that excited by that's all :) .