- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: spectrum analyzer

Post by s.k. »

nospin wrote:
s.k. wrote:
nospin wrote:is it normal for a wide range of frequencies to appear, when looking at a single sine wave? do they all do this?
thats not normal. there must be something wrong
could something else be wrong, besides inspector just isnt very good?
yes and judging from your next post, i think what you are analysing is definitely not a sine wave. it may look similar although i doubt it but its not a sine..

also filtering a sine wave is pointless (unless in special cases), either hi- or low- passing.. cause its only one frequency, nothing to filter
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I use Voxengo SPAN

gives a very clear picture of what's going on. to analyse your composition, i find it's very important to be able to adjust the peak hold time on the display.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: spectrum analyzer

Post by nospin »

s.k. wrote: yes and judging from your next post, i think what you are analysing is definitely not a sine wave. it may look similar although i doubt it but its not a sine..

also filtering a sine wave is pointless (unless in special cases), either hi- or low- passing.. cause its only one frequency, nothing to filter
i know you shouldnt have to, but since low level stuff was showing up on the spectrum, i thought id experiment and see if the filter would remove it... and it did remove a significant amount of it...

i guess what that means is that operator or subtractor dont produce pure sine waves...

although to be honest, i'm not sure if i could actually hear a difference when i added the filter. i'm not sure if that low volume, low frequency stuff could be heard on a different system. or if it could potentially cause a problem later on.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

from my experience, with even high quality soft synths, they all have some dbs in frquencies other than the fundamental with sin waves.

I guess it's a product of the synthesis method that gets used.

it's at pretty low levels obviously, but some dbs all the same. and enough to show up in a spectrum analyser.

maybe use a paramteric eq and boost the frequencies to see just how low they are. I'd imagine it'd take a pretty big hike in volume to get it to an audible level.

maybe worth filtering in some cases though.
oak.etiket
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oak.etiket »

clubfoot wrote:I use Voxengo SPAN

gives a very clear picture of what's going on. to analyse your composition, i find it's very important to be able to adjust the peak hold time on the display.
+1
gavin@FAW
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gavin@FAW »

I have tested alot of different ones and highly recommend metric halo's Specta Foo.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/foo/