velocity controlling other parameters

- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

velocity controlling other parameters

Post by dubgil »

nooB question I suppose.
Is it possible in Live to set a velocity curve to controll another parameter?
For example the harder i strike the key triggering a 909 hi-hat opens up the decay more and more. Or the harder I hit maybe that alters pitch?

I assume this is not a crazy concept, I just haven't discovered where this happens.

any suggestions?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't think it's possible in ableton globally (i.e. via midi assign).

but you can easily do it for some specific instances though, like some of the ableton instruments, and in many vsts. look out for knobs called 'velocity sensitivity' which you would probably find on envelopes.

abletons midi handling is pretty 'automatic' (probably the same in most daws), which is good for some things and bad for others.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: velocity controlling other parameters

Post by nospin »

dubgil wrote:nooB question I suppose.
Is it possible in Live to set a velocity curve to controll another parameter?
For example the harder i strike the key triggering a 909 hi-hat opens up the decay more and more. Or the harder I hit maybe that alters pitch?

I assume this is not a crazy concept, I just haven't discovered where this happens.

any suggestions?
usually you can do that on the vst. a lot of times, you can set how much the velocity effects the filter, or pitch, or something... guess it depends on the functions of the synth or sampler you are using.

i dont know a way to do it if your vst doesnt have this option.

on impulse, you can set the percentage that the velocity setting will effect the volume, pan, filter, transposition, and "stretch"
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I dont know how it goes with Ableton synths, but usualy youll find it in the modulation matrix ('mods' on some synths).
select velocity as the source and than what you want it to effect and how much.