Sherburne's manifesto

- open
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

I find this dude annoying as fck.. I usually dont care much for anything him or any other "music writer" writes about.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

blockup wrote:
pheek wrote:
blockup wrote:
drokkr.minimal wrote:one thing that nobody seemed to mention...

HAVE FUN
I'm sure that doesn't need to be said.
You can't never wish more than enough for people to have fun and be happy. That's probably the core of my own manifesto.

Manifesto's are nothing more (or less) than a code of honour. I can somehow believe that as an artist, you somehow need to go back to your roots or stick things in which you believe in. I like to think there's a bit of that in Phil's text.

One thing that strikes me, so many people HATE Myspace promo/demo submissions. I wonder why its still happening.

Probably because they get so many.
:?
:roll:
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

electronic music is so young and acting like it...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:
blockup wrote:

HAVE FUN
You can't never wish more than enough for people to have fun and be happy. That's probably the core of my own manifesto.

Manifesto's are nothing more (or less) than a code of honour. I can somehow believe that as an artist, you somehow need to go back to your roots or stick things in which you believe in. I like to think there's a bit of that in Phil's text.

One thing that strikes me, so many people HATE Myspace promo/demo submissions. I wonder why its still happening.
I want to be able to take the track to my serato and use it, therefore I don't want to listen to stuff on the myspace player.... that's also the reason why all tracks below 320 mp3's are deleted right away without giving it a listen at all...
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

pheek wrote:
blockup wrote:
pheek wrote:
blockup wrote:

HAVE FUN

Probably because they get so many.
:?
:roll:
Isn't that the whole point of Myspace (music)? To network.. share music

:?:
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Interesting read besides the lengthy, typically Pitchfork intro.

1) fck about 98% of those rules.

2a) If you're a DJ, I don't care how you got your music or what format it's in, as long as you've got it, it's good, and it works. It helps if you paid for it.
2b) If you're a producer, I don't care what computer program or $10,000 rare vintage synth you made your song on: If it's good, it's good.

3) I'm not even a label owner and I don't have time to listen to the demos that come trickling into my inbox on Myspace. It would be nice if there was about 10 more hours in a day for me spend leisurely filtering out the odd gem amongst hundreds of digital dirt clods. (see below)

4) Analog/VST/Ableton/breakdowns/122 BPM/re-edits are not the problem so much as the producers that produce sh!t music, the DJs that broadcast it, and the people dancing to it who should know better -- but don't, because they don't have an extra 10 hours a day to leisurely scroll through music, so they rely on shity DJs that rely on even shittier producers for their music.

5) I'm tired of elitists preaching about the way it used to be done, as if it's the only way it always has to be done. No disrespect to the years of experience and knowledge that they may have on me -- just don't disrespect the years of experience that I haven't yet made, or the different brand of knowledge I've studied to make and play out music. No big deal if you don't know techno history, so long as you aren't making cliches or trash that have already run their course -- we live in now, not 25 years ago.

6) Ridiculous, outdated limits and guidelines like "don't use a computer unless..." should be replaced with "be tasteful."
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Celltek wrote: Isn't that the whole point of Myspace (music)? To network.. share music

:?:
It is one of its goal yes. But there's ways to do it you know?
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Exactly if you care so much about your music, how hard is it to burn a CD of the original WAV file and send it to a selection your favourite labels.