** DUB ** ??

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

http://iwon.ask.com/reference/thesaurus/roget/14125/dub

to dub means to give a name, baptize, clean, purify - or viewed from another perspective (mine) - to "drown" something in water (not literally drown...) but put it in water for a while, you know that christian thing..

first dub productions were samples cut from reggae tracks and then heavily "drowned" in reverb, for the sake of non-recognition, or, simply because it sounded cool.

you know how they say "drown it in reverb"?

the way i see it, that was the initial meaning of dub - wet-sounding music..
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

i imagine the term came from the word overdub http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdubbing or dubbing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbing_(music)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dub was a style which evolved from reggae, where the vocals were omitted from the mix, hence it was instrumental reggae mixes, vocals were 'dubbed' on i suppose like MC ing. but it evolved into a specific drum and bass heavy sound, which is where all the modern connotations come from.
'over'dubbing is a recording process, so if you 'dub' something onto a track, you are adding an element to an existing instrumental structure.
apparently the two things are unrelated, which is strange, because that was the popular conception in the seventies when i was buying dub records.
dub techno is a very loose genre, which i suppose covers slower, bassline heavy techno, as opposed to the harder percussion driven variety, but there's no real distinct boundaries, so thats why people will say 'it has a dubby feel'
digidub from the 1990's is more like real jamaican dub, but made electronically.
The Jamaican guys would call it 'Hippy Dub'
for Dub, think big, subby, simple, brooding basslines, analogue delays, and big psychedelic reverbs, the perfect music for a summer afternoon.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

The first dub records were pioneered in Jamaica in the late 60's, and were basically popular tracks re-recorded (by local musicians and producers) without vocals and played by sound systems at outdoor parties. The style evolved into a unique production style and it became a big deal for a sound system to have exclusive dub plates. Look up Lee Scratch Perry. He didn't invent it, but was there at the beginning, and is arguably one of its most influential producers. In fact, with the equipment he was working on, he's probably one of the greatest producers of all time.

Modern dance music would not exist in its current form, if it weren't for dub, imo. Its a very, very important part of the history of dance music. Dub techno uses sounds associated with dub.
fcapozzo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fcapozzo »

KING TUBBY :twisted:
Bob Mulatu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bob Mulatu »

wuuuh i totally love dub...for me it stands for super deep trippy groovy outta space structures...with a lot of feeling!
dub has many faces and i love it when it sounds some kind of essential.
peace
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

DUB for me means boxes of vinyl that I never play anymore stored at my mum's.

I used to go nuts for that sound.

ABA-SHANTI SOUNDSYSTEM - the heaviest at carnival every time. i recommend all you sound heads to get some good quality earplugs and check him play if you can.
mcs
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mcs »

a good read is this one, if interested:

Bass Culture - When Reggae was King