Sherburne's manifesto

- open
psherburne
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by psherburne »

hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for reading the piece (and thanks to pheek for posting, and moreover, participating!) but thanks especially for chiming in. and thanks more, at least so far, for having really interesting (and non-combative) responses.

my intention in this certainly wasn't to set out a hard-and-fast set of rules to be followed by all musicians/DJs/producers. i'm interested in manifestos as a constraint-based system for individuals to work under, but i would never presume to proscribe what others shouldn't do. of course, some of the respondees here may have that in mind, and of course that's up to them.

like many who have commented on the piece, i'm intrigued and a little disconcerted by the hate for digital processes. torn, as well. on the one hand i have an almost allergic reaction to certain digital traits (like the awful "abletonizing" of over-warped samples), and i certainly hold faith (possibly mystical, possibly outdated) in conventional ideas of "soulfulness" -- warmth, subtlety, nuance, modulation, uncertainty, etc. and yet at the same time i also produce most of my own music almost entirely digitally -- what i've done so far has been mostly based upon softsynths (love the zebra 2.... what an invention), softsynth drums, and plugin effects, with a small part played by samples and hardware synths or drum machines. so as much as i love juju & jordash's music, for instance, i couldn't personally get behind the points in jordan's manifesto. going beyond that, i'd be hard-pressed to say, in many cases, whether something was made with analogue gear or softsynths -- and that, to me, is ok.

anyway, thanks for reading and responding... this has been a fun and productive exercise. and moey, don't worry -- i'm not nearly as gloomy as i come off in most of my writing. ;) (though i am a little worried about this 2012 thing!)
wmayhem
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wmayhem »

"The Politics of Dancing" - Reflex - Circa eons ago...

Electronic music is still exploding and evolving. The laptop is still the new electric guitar.

Clubbing may be changing and minimal may be "dead", compared to the excitement of its emergence - but these things are now anchor ingredients in a new artistic dialectic - from which will emerge new recorded and experiential forms.

Minimal has made a lasting impression with it's gaping exposure of sound design, compositional form, and multi-utilitarian application... providing a desperately needed counterbalance to the wholly derivative digital landfill of "me too" disney-fied alt rock, r&b, and pop.

We are in the midst of a morph and I've got my angle on it...

Philip, I always enjoy your writing and perspective. Thanks for bringing the scene into my living room.

The manifesto section, however, was BS... a lot of negative counter-productive nonsense. Producers - produce. Curators - curate. Performers - perform... Memorializing creative philosophic rambling kills the mystique of the creative process by exposing seemingly small-minded biases (compared to the enormity and word-defying expression of music). Let the music represent itself. Let the inexperienced fumble around and stumble upon the "new minimal" sans jaded advice.

As for the state of things to come and the 2012 thing, I'm with Philip S - cloudy skies ahead.
Last edited by wmayhem on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
blockup

Post by blockup »

What a load of waffle.
psherburne
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by psherburne »

but blockup, you've got a similar manifesto on combat 88 right here:

http://combat-88.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-play-house.html

So this is the year all the sh!t cnt boring minimal by numbers DJ's in London jumped ship and started playing 'House' music, but as most of them have no groundings in the youth drug dance craze of the late 80's they are getting it so so so so so so so so so so so wrong...As with the later years of the minimal plod-a-thon they created, they are starting to do the same with a scene thats excisted happily for the last 20 years. So here's a handy guide for would be wankers who want to know how to royaly fck up our night out .

Play what everybody else is playing and make sure each record sort of sounds the same (You know like you did with minimal)
Only play brand new trax, unless its a classic re-release that came into Phonica that week (or Hector played it.) or got re-released by Defected.
Play loads of rubbish anthems at the end...I'll give you Nightcrawlers Push the Feeling On & Delacy Hideaway or for free.
Play every Johnny D track
fck off any funky sh!t its not moody enough.
Deep House is the key.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

psherburne wrote:but blockup, you've got a similar manifesto on combat 88 right here:

So this is the year all the sht cnt boring minimal by numbers DJ's in London jumped ship and started playing 'House' music, but as most of them have no groundings in the youth drug dance craze of the late 80's they are getting it so so so so so so so so so so so wrong...As with the later years of the minimal plod-a-thon they created, they are starting to do the same with a scene thats excisted happily for the last 20 years. So here's a handy guide for would be wankers who want to know how to royaly fck up our night out .

Play what everybody else is playing and make sure each record sort of sounds the same (You know like you did with minimal)
Only play brand new trax, unless its a classic re-release that came into Phonica that week (or Hector played it.) or got re-released by Defected.
Play loads of rubbish anthems at the end...I'll give you Nightcrawlers Push the Feeling On & Delacy Hideaway or for free.
fck off any funky sht its not moody enough.
Deep House is the key.

There's a certain truth to your points Philip, but you should also be aware, and I'm quite sure you actually are, that the music business is in waves like it's always been.

detroit - chicago - looping mono techno - super minimal cologne style - and then 'minimal' in it's current form for actually quite a long period.... 5-6 years have it lasted, which I find quite long, and it's still here... but as you say, current super hype is 'deep/house'....

but I don't see it as something new that this is happening, it has always been like this and always will.

if it's bad or good? I don't know. Can be both in my opinion.
and as you write, you and I and many else can see who's just jumping the wagon and who's not.

just 2 cents
dzinerdrumz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dzinerdrumz »

1. be honest with yourself
2. do what you love and love what you do
3. don't be afraid

humanity can be a bit of a joke at times...
we strive to stand out and be unique and "innovative"
and yet we still need to feel acceptance or to feel like
we're a part of the group...
blockup

Post by blockup »

psherburne wrote:but blockup, you've got a similar manifesto on combat 88 right here:

So this is the year all the sht cnt boring minimal by numbers DJ's in London jumped ship and started playing 'House' music, but as most of them have no groundings in the youth drug dance craze of the late 80's they are getting it so so so so so so so so so so so wrong...As with the later years of the minimal plod-a-thon they created, they are starting to do the same with a scene thats excisted happily for the last 20 years. So here's a handy guide for would be wankers who want to know how to royaly fck up our night out .

fck off any funky sht its not moody enough.
Deep House is the key.

Not really a manifesto, just a tongue-in-cheek observation that me and my compadre's started to notice throught the year...A joke between mates if you like.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

what a great article, its nice when a writer can put into words exactly what a lot of us are thinking but no one has said.

i think one reason why there are trends in the dj sets out there, is because of the nature of djing itself: its hard to break unwritten rules such as beat matching one track to the next or playing music you did not create. it would be pretty damn hard to be a dj and not do those 2 things. so what room for creativity is there? thats all djing is ... mixing one song to the next, so naturally this breeds an environment of people who are not very creative.

another reason is the nature of a scene itself. the moment you are in a music scene you are already programming yourself in a certain style. my girlfriend took me to see a rock band she likes. this was my exposure to a scene i didnt knew existed ... a scene where people dont dance or move around much but rather just stand and stare at a band wailing away distorted guitar chords, vocals you cant understand, and just a lot of chaotic noise suited for someone on heroin. this scene has rules as far as dress is concerned, how the music is made, and attitude. it was awful music, but to these rock scenesters they love it because it caters to their rules of their music: must have electric guitar, drum kit, and a singer. actually when you think about its just electric guiar, they just want music that has this particular instrument.

im sure most will agree and preach that rules need to be broken, but these same people will turn right around and release techno track #45667.