Unwarping Records....

- open
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Unwarping Records....

Post by 000000 »

just recieved a fairly large order in the mail, and every record in the package was severely warped (in a bowl-like shape).
i've done some research on the subject, but has anyone had any success with unwarping vinyl? if so how what process worked best for you?
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I googled these:

So use at your own discretion.

http://members.aol.com/clctrmania/cm-unwarp.html
http://www.theanalogdept.com/unwarp.htm
http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/in ... 7ecd0f10cd

And you've already done some research so...yeah. I've never done it though. I think I'd just buy new records if I were in the same situation.
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

I've been curious about that too. I didn't think warped records were fixable. Have you tried sending it back? What mail order company? Let us know how the customer service is like after your complaint if you decide to do something about it.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. "
-Denis Diderot-
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

i once received some records that were a bit warped and what i did was:

1- start oven at 200f
2- squeeze the record between two heavy items to make it flat
3- wait 2 minutes and check if more is needed
4- freeze it in the freezer

:?

the result was more or less successfull but it kinda worked and I saved a precious Maurizio record.
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

i got some promos recently the same way... the post office put a rubberband on the records making them into a taco. i need to do some more heating and bending but they are almost playable on both sides again. if they are really bowl wavy shaped then you might be sh!t outta luck... good luck with that.

:idea: a good idea for anyone shipping records. get a do not bend stamp & a protect from heat stamp from your local office supply store. its not 100% reliable but it helps.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 000000 »

thanks for all the info guys.
google was the first line of research along with calling some friends...
either they've had no experience with it or little success. with that in mind i'll be emailing www.humpty-stuttgart.de to see what they say, though any way i look at it, it's going to cost me more money than i'd like. so hopefully i'll have enough success with unwarping them that they'll be playable. though i'm glad i have final scratch ;)

ps. my last exchange of emails with humpty-stuttgart.de didn't go so well since their english seems to be as good as my german, so if anyone is able to speak german and doesn't mind lending a helping hand, it'd be appreciated

thanks again.

sc.
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

^^

Did you try any of those methods? Did it help?
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. "
-Denis Diderot-
pdomino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pdomino »

Send them back, damaged goods

You need something heavy and flat and hot :D