The end of this hype ?

- ask away
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

I would like to add that I went to the Minus Anniversary at Sonar that was suppose to be a new step in the minimal music evolution. Richie has walked a tremendous way: plastikman: sheet one, decks and Fx's, the very innovated Closer to the edit... and now he is a "social party star". I think he doesn't care so much about the music.
This show was so boring, it was suppossed to be cool because there were 5 minus artists playing togethere with their laptops, they were to send loops to Richi who selected them and then released to the dancefloor.
And all this with big screens and lights game.
I was annoyed in my way back home, i don't understand why this guy never recieve a bad review from the critics. Is it me that i listen to too much electronic music so i can not enjoy this hype?.
loki
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loki »

I've started a brand new label called FCKMNML

Were going to release really cool music that is neither minimal or non-minimal while at the same time being minimal AND non minimal, clever huh?

This new genre will be called NOMINAL and it will shake the very foundations of this Universe.............................
I don't believe anything
brownlow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brownlow »

I'm willing to bet the next big thing will be waltz techno and waltz house. What! 3/4!!!? NEVER!....
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

ledualtr wrote:I find myself listening to techno as "minimal techno" and realizing that it sounds as any type of danceable electronic music made before, but still we have novelty and innovation, the thing is that we need innovation at a higher pace now. Electronic music is oh god so speedy, so fast, it gets boring very quickly (unless you have special feelings relating some track to your life, then it gets never boring, talking about Hawtin), so I think we may expect to find new things but truth is we are not so fast and cannot take the pace because it results into boringness. I mean, look at the classic styles, we even gave those names as "periods", how long until baroque was replaced by romantic? I push buttons and expect to see letters here to be seen by dozens in a dozen of locations, so jappanese caligraphy would be then boring? Art is not supposed to evolve so fast, we are forcing it because everything is now like that, damn internet!
how fast is art supposed to evolve? We can't take back the industrial revolution.
freeeeeee
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Luis Isaac wrote:I would like to add that I went to the Minus Anniversary at Sonar that was suppose to be a new step in the minimal music evolution. Richie has walked a tremendous way: plastikman: sheet one, decks and Fx's, the very innovated Closer to the edit...
u forgot the most important concept...

and I went there (m_nus @ sonar) and quite enjoyed it :roll: :)
u know, it's not supposed to be taken sooo seriously. dance music. dance. music! dance!

:)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

brownlow wrote:I'm willing to bet the next big thing will be waltz techno and waltz house. What! 3/4!!!? NEVER!....
its already been done many times,
ive got got two 3/4 tracks in my live set right now.
(dont mix too well with yer regular techno though )

must say i didnt notice anyone waltzing at my last gig though. :wink:
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Robot Criminal wrote: u know, it's not supposed to be taken sooo seriously. dance music. dance. music! dance!

Does anybody else notice a strange theme popping up in all these conversations. I agree that dance music is dance music and shouldn't be taken that seriously it should just be danced to.
The strange thing is that allot of minimal artists and techno artists in general LOVE to try to paint themselves as serious so they can seem like they're innovators when all they are really doing is pushing or copying a sound that is 15 years old or more. The sad part is that people fall for it time after time. This thing was seen and predicted to happen years ago. People like Jeff Mills and Mad Mike called this whole scenerio out a long time back and that's why they chose to make Underground Resistance a faceless label. Of course once Jeff got out there and the press and clubs saw him dj they rushed in there as quick as they could to put a face to the music because that's all they know how to do. Mike on the other hand saw this happening and decided to stay back in Detroit and remain faceless as he could and try to let the music speak for itself. I don't see any kind of revolt in this manner from anybody else and honestly i'm not sure i would want to remain faceless myself forever but i understand by working on the business and with allot of artists that there are some massive ego's out there that are surrounded by people who never criticize them and the result in general is what you're all sick of now. I don't know about you guys but i'v never really bought into hype that much, mainly because i'm a super picky record buyer. When i go to see somebody spin i'm going there to hear what they spin, not to catch a glimpse of the dj. They are just some normal everyday cats like everybody else.

The hype will never end, just learn to listen past the smoke and mirrors and you'll know who's serious and who's just acting like they are.

"Everything you see may not be real,
everything you read may not be true,
everything you hear may not be there,
look inside your soul,
listen to your heart,
It Might Be A Mirage........"

http://www.discogs.com/release/3059
UR-021 Perception - Mirage
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

Torque wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote: u know, it's not supposed to be taken sooo seriously. dance music. dance. music! dance!

Does anybody else notice a strange theme popping up in all these conversations. I agree that dance music is dance music and shouldn't be taken that seriously it should just be danced to.
The strange thing is that allot of minimal artists and techno artists in general LOVE to try to paint themselves as serious so they can seem like they're innovators when all they are really doing is pushing or copying a sound that is 15 years old or more. The sad part is that people fall for it time after time.
so true.