mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

u know monitors clip right vincent :wink:
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

thanks everyone for commenting. i've working on it and think that now it sounds better (and a little louder).
guess maybe it was just my own perception on this particular track. think maybe it was because i was cross referencing to some tracks that sound particularly loud (like Barem's Campoloco).

Another question, how many of you use a mastering engineer like some here propose? I know in my case it would be impossible (third world exchange rate leaves no chances of using one of those online mastering services, and i know no mastering engineer 'round here) but did it really made a difference on your tunes?
and if you do it by yourselves (i remember reading in another thread steviio said i did by himself) what would you recommend to someone using just software to do? I used the tutorial posted at FOEM some time ago and got some nice results, but all the same would love to get some tips.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm going to start a very cheap online analogue mastering service.
i've been too busy with other projects to get it going up to now, but it will happen after the summer hopefully.
you send me your wav, i send you back a mastered clip. if you like it you pay, if you dont nothing lost. i've done it for people before with my current set-up, but soon i'm getting some better gear.
i'll let you know when its happening.

but yes, get as much knowlege as you can and keep doing it yourself, you can only get better. many studios now use digital mastering, so theres nothing to stop you really.
keep practicising, you can never know enough, i still learn stuff every day.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

try to master your sh!t oyurself. Get some mastering plug's and try it yourself. I know lots of peeps who master their own stuff and it sounds really good. Kinda scary. Engineers,.... you dont really need them only if you really want some bigass quality.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

my amp goes up to eleven... thats how i make my tracks loud.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

The best investment you can probably make in this regard is the Bob Katz book. Even if you do end up sending your stuff to a mastering house, the detail he puts in his book will help you a lot in terms of preparing your mixes for submission. The Ozone mastering pdf is pretty good too (http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html). Its a bit product specific, but it does a pretty good job of explaining things.

Check out Rob Acids video as well. http://www.vimeo.com/808485
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

worth reading the gearslutz.com mastering forum as well from time to time.

there's some remarkably talented people on there and there's usually some worthwhile discussion you can absorb.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:i listened to your track and thought it sounded fine.
you cant expect all tracks to have the same power, every track is different.
squashing the life out of a track just to get equal power is crazy IMO,
i always allow my tracks to have their own identity, and to breath.
there's always been this mad obsession in EDM to get absolute maximum power at all costs and to compete with everybody else. you can either join the madness or just let the DJ turn the gain knob 5 degrees and let your track make its own statement.
a slightly quieter track never stopped me buying a good record ever !
When using a Maximizer or something similar is that compressing as well? I have recently sent some stuff off to be mastered for vinyl and decided against using anything out the master out because I thought the mastering engineer would prefer it if he had more headroom. I mean after all the mastering engineer is going to have far better equipment, then the Reason 4 mastering suite. Am I right in thinking this?