"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Red Kite wrote: What exactly are you referring to as "depressing" sound? Could it be you're confusing §deep" with "depressing"? I never in my whole life heard a depressing techno or house record, I just have no idea what you are talking about.
dronedronedroneblonkdronedronedroneblonkdronedronedroneblonk

Don't get me wrong, I do rather enjoy some deep / dark / droney type tracks, and stuff like that is what first got me into minimal techno, but there was a bit of emotion / urgency / tension behind it. This past weekend I heard a set in a club that sounded about 2 steps removed from prog house / circuit music but with that 8am dronedronedronedrone sound.

There was no energy behind it, the elements being layered ontop were just not interesting. There was no sense of tension / build / release or taking you on a journey. Just this oppressive drone-drone-drone-blonk-drone-drone-drone-blonk.

It was exhausting to listen to, instead of being captivating and wanting you to listen to see where it's going to go to next, it left me feeling "god, when is this track going to end?" - musical blue-balls IMO. All buildup (and a boring one at that) with no payoff.

I had more energy after I left the club.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Ah, so it means "boring". Yeah, come to think of it, music can be depressing just by being bad...

But I'd just call it boring. I mean, "depressing" sounds to much like Emo, fake gothic and doom metal...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

some people on here take this all too serious.
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

hehe, agree with the pessimists ..

i mean wtf, listening to clips in various vinyl stores on a fairly daily basis and most of the releases are totally generic.

that's why we (or at least i) love a dj like villalobos, he doesn't do the obvoius most of the time and that kind of people are the one's that are the trendsetters.

neither of us haven't been immune to the clichés, a lot of the generic uTronic tracks are energetic and work on the dancefloor, but the sound has been so overmilked that when a dj today play's a straight 909-tracks it sounds fresh, hehe ...
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I understand completely, Keagan.

The same thing is happening with me but I still find a track or a mix here and there that I find fresh.

I have tons of 70's prog rock records which I used to love to listen to. I recently put on "Close to the Edge" from Yes. The roommate and I used to drool while listening to it. Halfway through he first song it we looked at each other and both shouted "my balls!!!", which in our language means "boring!". We both could hear what we used to like in there but it's just not the case anymore. That part of our brain is worn. King Krimson forever, though. And I'll never, ever get tired of good old funk. The day I get tired of funk is the day I'll become a dry, mean bastard with with a heart of stone.
bum-tak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bum-tak »

thom wrote:The roommate and I used to drool while listening to it. Halfway through he first song it we looked at each other and both shouted "my balls!!!", which in our language means "boring!". We both could hear what we used to like in there but it's just not the case anymore. That part of our brain is worn.

King Krimson forever, though!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately i know too good what you're saying....: I put on a record I used to love and BANG! - nothing happens, as if I never liked the record, then im asking myself how an album like this could have ended up in my "perfect collection"....

I've sold sooo many CD's and LP's over that feeling - but i think i bought almost 80 % of the stuff I've sold again!

:roll:

.....damn now i got to listen to "soft machine - live at paradiso '69".....
very bomb ep congrats @ all