Selling my music?

- ask away
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

nospin wrote:will your name be attached to the material? i'd do it in a second if i could keep it hidden that it was me, but would probably decline if my good name would be associated with a loops cd

I'm certain they want to be able to use his name to move units.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

nospin wrote:will your name be attached to the material? i'd do it in a second if i could keep it hidden that it was me, but would probably decline if my good name would be associated with a loops cd
huh?
why should that be a problem?
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Selling my music?

Post by dubgil »

pheek wrote:Ok so i just got contacted by this company that does loops librairies and sample CDs. They offered me a shitload of money to produce a full CD of sounds, loops and fx. I was just on the verge of saying yes when i realised that if i do this, there will then be loads of music, from good to bad with my sounds.

I really think that i would get fed up of my own stuff at one point if I get to hear it out there...

Your thoughts?
Ummm isn't that kinda what many producers are interested in: getting paid for what they spend hours and hours crafting. I see nothing wrong.
If you were a chocolatier and sold chocolate chips would you get fed up of people using the chips for various cookies? C'mon, get some money for all your labor.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

dubgil wrote:
pheek wrote:Ok so i just got contacted by this company that does loops librairies and sample CDs. They offered me a shitload of money to produce a full CD of sounds, loops and fx. I was just on the verge of saying yes when i realised that if i do this, there will then be loads of music, from good to bad with my sounds.

I really think that i would get fed up of my own stuff at one point if I get to hear it out there...

Your thoughts?
Ummm isn't that kinda what many producers are interested in: getting paid for what they spend hours and hours crafting. I see nothing wrong.
If you were a chocolatier and sold chocolate chips would you get fed up of people using the chips for various cookies? C'mon, get some money for all your labor.
Hell Yeah! And if you feel like your selling out or some rubbish just buy new gear that you wanted with all the money so its justified as improving your art.
nowayback
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by nowayback »

dubgil wrote: Ummm isn't that kinda what many producers are interested in: getting paid for what they spend hours and hours crafting. I see nothing wrong.

i find your comparison kinda off target here.. i guess a bigger bit of
artistry is involved when it comes to music production than chocolate
making. a musician does not "sell per piece", that's what i mean.
found myself having such dilemmas in my profession (gr.design) and
it's not a one minute decision.
victorgonzales wrote:Hell Yeah! And if you feel like your selling out or some rubbish just buy new gear that you wanted with all the money so its justified as improving your art.
excuse me but i reckon this is not the way a true artist feels & thinks
about his work. there's much more about it than 'material' profits.
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
http://prop4g4nd4.com
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

nowayback wrote:
dubgil wrote: Ummm isn't that kinda what many producers are interested in: getting paid for what they spend hours and hours crafting. I see nothing wrong.

i find your comparison kinda off target here.. i guess a bigger bit of
artistry is involved when it comes to music production than chocolate
making. a musician does not "sell per piece", that's what i mean.
found myself having such dilemmas in my profession (gr.design) and
it's not a one minute decision.
victorgonzales wrote:Hell Yeah! And if you feel like your selling out or some rubbish just buy new gear that you wanted with all the money so its justified as improving your art.
excuse me but i reckon this is not the way a true artist feels & thinks
about his work. there's much more about it than 'material' profits.
So are you saying Im not a true artist because I think that making money to buy better equipment or maybe a new toy is okay? Its not like hes busting out a fucking happy hardcore sample pack. I geuss every famous painter whose paintings sell for tens of thousands is a fucking sellout or not really an artist.

I think the fact that people are willing to pay money just to use a little bit of your creativity to enspire their own is a true testiment to how great of an artist you really are.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

patrick bateman wrote:
huh?
well, for myself, i'm not exactly morally opposed to doing creative work just for money (would sure beat any number of day jobs), but i would also want to keep it separate from my artistic name and reputation.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

nospin wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
huh?
well, for myself, i'm not exactly morally opposed to doing creative work just for money (would sure beat any number of day jobs), but i would also want to keep it separate from my artistic name and reputation.
does that mean that if you do records for labels and remixes and such, you do it for free? Sounds nice.
Are you a DJ also who spins for free?