Contakt (Minus where are you going?)

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

clubfoot wrote:Surrounded by what looks like an appointed group of admirers - a la Top Of The Pops. Wallowing in it all.
doesn't that go for most big names nowadays? Packing the backstage/vip with admirers and incrowd? And occasionally noticing that one of your admirers ran off with your laptop / hard disc / record bag / mixer :twisted:
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

PsyTox wrote:
clubfoot wrote:Surrounded by what looks like an appointed group of admirers - a la Top Of The Pops. Wallowing in it all.
doesn't that go for most big names nowadays? Packing the backstage/vip with admirers and incrowd? And occasionally noticing that one of your admirers ran off with your laptop / hard disc / record bag / mixer :twisted:
apparently so. but my visit to berlin the other day was the first time i've actually seen it... and looking so 'staged'. it was the same at week-end for mathew dear/troy pierce/gaiser.
maybe there's also a dj-booth guestlist these days 8)
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

what the hell ever happened to Plastikman? The nonspoken, shaven, more mysterious dood? All he needed was some simple XOX boxes and he'd take us to the Fires of Ork, what the hell is this?
LucaDc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by LucaDc »

I WANT PLASTIKMAN!!!!not richie hawtin :P ....i think that is a decadent techno scene...contaminated by the fucking "mediterrean techno"(massi dl,lucio aquilina and a lot of other artist from Naples.....i want the real MINIMAL!!!!!!!
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

i was there aswell clubfoot. wasnt as bad in weekend but at hawtin it was ridiculous. at one point he stood up with his arms out llike a messiah. the whole set was shite. complete joke if u ask me. zip showed them how it should be done.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

grace anxiety wrote:i was there aswell clubfoot. wasnt as bad in weekend but at hawtin it was ridiculous. at one point he stood up with his arms out llike a messiah. the whole set was shite. complete joke if u ask me. zip showed them how it should be done.
If I go to see them it will be for Heartthrob and Troy's twisted and dark sounds. This music is too serious to be taken lightly :D
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

LucaDc wrote:I WANT PLASTIKMAN!
wasn't their a rumor of a new album in 2008...

I thought it was projected the 1st half of 2008 actually..

was excited to hear this sometime late last year..
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

john clees wrote:
tone-def wrote:so is he using ableton now? it takes a lot of skill to make mixing mistakes with that.
that's what I don't get..

if your (not) using vinyl anymore.. why not just link up the tracks and get creative with multi-layering and getting lost in sound..

- he had more than a few wrecks at the fest in detroit this year... no biggie but.... just wondering since he removed the vinyl

then why try to mix using two computers.. kinda like wrestling alligators im sure... people see that your not using vinyl..

so why not just link them if your going for a dj/live pa sound/feel anyway

[?]
From watching those vids someone posted, he's got everything beatmatched to begin with, I'm thinking if he made a mistake, he's either f@cked up with a delay and made it all sound clashy or similar either that or perhaps he was suffering from glitches, it happens, The other computer is for FX apparently - I'm not sure why he needs 2 , surely If he's got some serious processing needs a powercore would be the way, but I guess he needs it and he's appraised all the options, so I guess there's a reason.

Someone mentioned him using ableton - which he doesn't, but regardless, in any form of digital mixing, even with everything synched, there is still a room for error when it comes to using effects, transitions and sometimes even timing (live had a serious bug for example where if you loaded up all of your samples at once and then started warping them as samples were still loading that the tempfile in wav format would become corrupt and you'd end up with it 'jumping'.

Anyway - whatever, I'd still say it takes considerable skill to pull off decent mixes using beatmatched means (I've never found one that matched it all automatically without some messing for a start), That aside I've tried to just let it do it all on autopilot and the bottomline is from my own experience there's just as much stress as there is mixing vinyl and this is from someone who got to the stage of mixing three decks and then getting bored.

Anyhows - that isn't to be starting up a whole other conversation on digital DJing - we've already had that, but yes - that could be an explanation for his f@ckups.

I haven't listened to Richie or any of the M_nus crew for a long time - I personally respect Hawtin far too much to witness what he's becoming now in terms of music, I'd rather remember him from the glory days of dex and fx, DE9 and plastikman - perhaps he will shock us all in the future with something radical, in the meantime - let him have his fun I suppose, I mean - has he ever fucked anyone over ? Is he a bad guy ? Does he have lots of shares in Shell, Exxon and Chevron ? Why does seeing him ponce around annoy so many people, he deserves to be decadent, he's fought hard for techno and turned many on to a sound which otherwise would have been lots of dark, smoke filled rooms with a couple of skinheads moshing otherwise and lets face it - he's not like DJ otzi or half of those euro twats jumping around to bad remakes of old misjah style trance-no or worse....2unlimited !!!! :)

Let's get the enemy correct people !!