Suz - Exclusive Interview and Mix (plus a bonus recipe)

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

Steve Edwards
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Suz - Exclusive Interview and Mix (plus a bonus recipe)

Post by Steve Edwards »

Fwd.dj is proud to proud to present an exclusive mix and interview from one of Canada's finest and most unique producer/performers. Suz (yes that's the person) has enjoyed releases on Archipel, Italo Business, Unfoundsound, De'fchild productions, Pinksilver, (to name a few) and is certainly, to anyone paying attention, is a up and comer to watch. Known for fiercely unique remixes, original productions and her hybrid live/dj sets, Suz is a special treat for those who take the time to investigate now, before she's to big to talk to you...

FWD: Run us through your process when you begin a production. Do you start with a concept, the rhythm, sample modulation?

Suz: I wish I had one simple answer, but it's in my nature to complicate things. ;) I like to think of my process as organized chaos because my method of brainstorming can look very messy on screen. I'm most certainly a conceptual writer so my format is always established after I develop the theme. It's like a writer developing characters and his plot before he assembles his novel, or a painter choosing his colour palette before applying images to the canvas. Usually I will work with harmonious structures first. This can either be strings, pads, vocals, or a group of a certain kind (or a combination) of instruments, and these will carry the song. I choose harmonious structures first because I feel they set the tone for my concept, and once I have that, the rest of the elements seem to fall in place nicely.

FWD: Do you approach your music more from an emotional or mental place? What is the balance for you?

Suz: I can say that sometimes my emotions make me feel mental. Yes, yes, it's true! ;) Anyhow, moving along to my point, I'm unable to complete any means of artistry in a linear or in a robotic state of mind. Primarily, I do run on emotion. I rather feel ultimate highs and extreme lows than not feel at all. Human interaction is what transcends my creative ability. It is my catalyst. Good or bad, each person I experience has a place in my methods, and is a huge influence on my being. I think this is why my work has always taken on so many unique forms. Each song I've written so far has been about a person or a random encounter. So, just think about how many variable outcomes there are in life, and diversity in personalities -- it's totally endless. You can't deny that this world is a wacky yet beautiful place, and each moment that I pass through, I'm urged to create something to express it. The ONLY time I'm very cerebral is when I have to make sense out of something, so I usually reserve this part for assembly/ sequencing and mastering.

FWD: Are there any social/spiritual/political elements woven into your music? If so, what are the common themes and what are you itching to encapsulate in future productions?

Suz: My music will harbor spiritual, political, social, psychosocial, emotional... and any other aspect that's presented before me. Again, because the many colours of world are an inspiration, all hopes, dreams, and beliefs will transfer over to my creations. It's subject to the moment, and I'll utilize all that comes with it to express myself. My goal is to have the necessary skill to project these matters accurately and consistently in musical form.

FWD: Aside for your handy recorder what are some excellent places to get samples? What do you look for in your drum/noise samples?

Suz: Samples are found everywhere! I know, what a cop out answer, but it is indeed true. That's the fun part, sampling everything you can possibly think of! Music from all ages, movies, TV, radio, your own voice, your dog, your refrigerator, bathroom sink, old mattress, real instruments... I can go on and on. For random sounds I look for oddity. For familiar sounds I use my own voice and real instruments. Most of the time I like to cross-weave organic sounds with digital sounds to establish a balance between the two. So for an organic feel, I use my piano or for more of a vintage feel I'll dig up jazz, motown, classical, and hiphop samples. For digital sounds I love to play around with synthesizers, key notations and fx. The possibilities are endless just as long as you remember to remain experimental.

FWD: What hardware/software do you use and recommend?

Suz: For production I keep my software platform pretty simple. I alternate between Ableton and Reason plus an array of other midi instruments/plug-ins. The only hardware I use for creation is my piano. I recommend using any program that interests you, not just what is popular. I also recommend alternating and getting to know new software every now and then, as it will change the way you create. Sometimes we can get stuck in a method, so its good to redirect your brain and use your left hand if you're originally right handed (so to speak). I find this keeps you thinking, and this way you'll never become bored and your work will never become boring. We hear too much of the same thing these days, and I think its due to the similar programs and plug-ins people are using to create. Many spend their time trying to find a sound that was already found - we should be motivating ourselves to discover new peaks, and challenge ourselves to not stop at 'catchy'. As artists, we set the standard by what we release, therefore we should be encouraging every listener to become even more demanding with the evolution of music by giving them new, different, and personalized mind-stretching material.

FWD: I hear you like healthy food... do you have tasty any recipes to share?

Suz: Yes, I'm a bit of a health nut, but nuts are good, right? ... right?? (cough). I will share a recipe for raw keylime pie that has been in my mouth and probably all over my face for the past couple of weeks.

Key Lime Pie
Tart and sweet at the same time, it really hits the spot!
Makes one 9" pie, serving 8-10

Crust Ingredients:
3 C fine almond flour*
4-5 fresh medjool dates
2 T coconut oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Filling Ingredients:
2 small ripe avocados
1 banana
1 1/4 C juice from key limes (regular limes will also work fine)
1/2 C mango chunks
1/2 C agave nectar
1/3 C coconut cream concentrate or oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preparation:
To make crust, place almond flour, dates, coconut oil, and sea salt in a food processor and blend until it balls up. Firmly press crust into pie pan and set aside.

To make the filling, process all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender such as a VitaMix until smooth and fluid. Pour into pie shell and freeze about 4-6 hours or longer. I like to serve this topped with a little shredded coconut and mango chunks or slices.

FWD: What goals have you accomplished so far in your electronic music career and which ones are next on the list?

Suz: As far as I can see it, I've already accomplished my original goals. I wanted to perform and compose music. It was as simple as that. I had no intentions to release any of my material or make a career out of it, it just happened naturally. It really was icing on the cake. For about 8 years I made a career DJ'ing and managed my own nightclub, and near the end of that term I realized how much I truly wanted to keep music as a hobby. It became tainted as soon as it became work (enter the politics and $$), and I never wanted to hate something that represented freedom, and brought me such endless joy. So I made a conscious decision to return to a light-hearted state, and my love grew even thicker, and I believe this carefree attitude also improved my skill (no pressure = no pain). My love and instinctual connection to music goes further than a funky noise or a groovy rhythm... to me it's about connections, cultures, love and hate, spirituality... life. It's about freedom of expression, and is the window into the individual personalities and civilizations of the world. My new goals do not hover only within electronic music, but in music as a whole.

Electronic music is a great love for me, but it most certainly does not compromise my musical interests. I grew up listening (and still do) to such a variety of musical styles, and none of it was found on Casey Kasem's Top 40's chart, rather in old motown and reggae records, classical and jazz, house/soul music, and classic rock and roll. I also grew up on the piano, semi-classically trained and I've recently developed a new goal to expand my knowledge and become re-taught, but in the jazz realm. I've been spending a lot of my time really listening to, and dissecting music by focusing on specific eras and the evolution of sound. My goal is to explore the world in a musical sense, and become sympathetic towards both the creative individual, and to the civilization in which they cultivated. I want to focus on the past, present and the future. The past is a product of the present, and an indicator to what the future holds, so it's imperative to understand where we (and music) came from in order to move in a forward direction. I'm really trying to become completely receptive, and as open minded as possible so this can reflect on my creations. I know in my heart that I will never stop creating music and I would like to give people and myself something timeless. I want to be constantly inspired and in return, an inspiration. But, to be an inspiration, one must first become inspired and there is no better way to become inspired than to absorb humanity in all its glory.

A long-term goal of mine is to record my inspirations through my research and experiences, and translate it into a conceptual project. I would like to complete an album. To be honest, I do not have a time frame for its completion, and I'll be happy to bank it out just before I go belly up. So you (including me) will have to wait and see.

FWD: How do you think the EDM scene could stand to change, are there any trends that are less than excellent?

Suz: I think the envelope needs to be pushed even further. As soon as we stop pushing, we will become comfortable and lazy, and that's when we start accepting sub-par material. Trends need to die if anything. Sometimes it feels like a fashion accessory, and next fall instead of EDM, it will be something else. Music should be timeless and open, and enriched with character and experience. If you really think about it, one does not have to try so hard to be different, if we all just discovered and embraced our own uniqueness, our musical styles would transcend just that. I fear that electronic music has been coined a certain way, where certain styles have lost its way. I find I have to dig much deeper to find meaningful music, whereas before it seemed simpler. But maybe that's just it - it became too popular too fast and we're swimming in over-saturated waters. Now everyone wants to be a DJ or wants to produce. Don't get me wrong, there are so many brilliant musicians out there, and I'm endlessly impressed and greatly inspired by their creations, but I find that some of the music that receives the most credit is not very deserving. The underdogs (aka smaller labels/artists) need more attention. So I guess my advice is to search harder and look in the nooks and crannies for the envelope pushers. Don't just download the Top 100 on Beatport - really dig for a concept. It's out there.

FWD: What does the rest of 2008 hold for Suz, any touring or releases?

Suz: 2008 - steady as she goes. A few more remixes are coming out. One on Nightlight (Alland Byallo) this July, and another on a newer (and very exciting) label in Germany called Krautshop for an upcoming downtempo artist Taban Hayes. I've also been exploring my vocal side much more and have been collaborating with the very amazing Tom Ellis. We will be releasing on Musique Risquée (Akufen) this year. I've also been playing a musical role on the other side of things, working as A+R for Archipel (Pheek). I really love this side of the coin because it still provides me with the chance to participate in the musical realm, but this time by searching for, and promoting new and upcoming artists. I have no tours scheduled for 2008, but 2009 is another story. We'll see as time moves forward.

FWD: Any comments about this exclusive fwd mix?

Suz: This mix is very different from what I've put out so far. I was inspired to record a mix that was sexy, groovy, and very deep. It reminds me of summer - all the songs make me feel damn good. It's also recorded at 120bpm, and not at the usual 126-128... I seem to be slowing down with age. ;) It's recorded live/dj style, utilizing 4 decks, looping and layering. There are only a few parts where you will hear one track as itself. I wanted to leave the progression alone in these parts because the song themselves are sheer brilliance, and even I cant layer over them if I wanted to. It would have been sin! I hope you enjoy.

Suz FWD Mix Download/Tracklist
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I never wanted to hate something that represented freedom, and brought me such endless joy
:arrow: :idea:

thank you for the forward..

grabbing now..

:)

http://www.fwd.dj/audio/download/230/su ... fwd-dj.mp3

Tracklist:
1. AKA - Tom Ellis Ft. Suz [Ureleased]
2. Ohnh - Leif [Fear of Flying]
3. The Other Man -Von Haugwitz [Seta]
4. How Do I Know - Loco Dice [Desolat]
5. Doubledub - Christian Burkhardt [Raum]
6. Prime Expansion - Rick Wade [Yore]
7. Ghosts In My Machine - Milton Jackson [Freerange ]
8. Str8 Nasty - Dj Stax [Classic]
9. Omnipresent (Myers Briggs Rmx) - Luke Hess [Beretta Grey ]
10. Moscow Fighting - Subb an [Immigrant]
11. Go Deep - Adam S, Chris Special [Toolroom]
12. Olah - Tbbros [Klangscheiben]
13. Madeleine- Einmusik, Stimming [Dynamic]
14. Sui Generis Sven UK, Andomat 3000 [Cecille]
15. Mogane - Sety [Circus Company]
16. All By Myself - Joeski [Dutchie Music]
17. A Most Beautiful Day - After Tea [Hotfingers]
18. S-Factor - John Smorto [Minisketch]
19. 4 Minutes - After Tea [Hotfingers]
20. Quantum Process - Melt [Telepathy Digital]
21. Funky Moves - Ivan I & Jason Howell [Tarantic]
22. We Like Funk - Tom Ellis Ft. Suz [Musique Risquée].
Layborn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Layborn »

People like Suz keep me passionate about music.

A smart interview and, as always, a mix of the highest quality.

Major Kudos. :D
-Layborn-
codix
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by codix »

Layborn wrote:People like Suz keep me passionate about music.

A smart interview and, as always, a mix of the highest quality.

Major Kudos. :D
Full ACK!

needs not more to be sayed :) great person, great music! respect :)
crashkurs_assembler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crashkurs_assembler »

nice interview :) it was a pleasure to read!
Steve Edwards
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Steve Edwards »

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the interviews and mixes we've been posting lately. We have a lot more coming up!
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

nice interview, and thanks for the mix :)
the tracklist looks nice - so looking forward to hear it!
Biggs
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Biggs »

ahh suz, my favourite towel. you do talk some rubbish :wink:

love ya x x