number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

sonofradiator wrote:Do some homework! (Not directed at anyone in particular BTW)
i don't think i would have found many of the great labels and artists if i didn't peep dj charts. thats what i call homework.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Daniel LaRusso
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Daniel LaRusso »

just got this today from beatport... they have tier classification for labels:

Tier 1 Over 750+ downloads of each release in first week on average. Support and marketing on labelwebsite, most are working exclusively for a period of time and have solid Beatport promotions and partnerships with top 100 DJs / producers on their rosters.

Tier 2 Bi - monthly to monthly releases. Over 500+ downloads of each release in first week on average.Support and marketing on label website, solid Beatport promotions and up and coming recognizable artists/ DJs on rosters.

Tier 3 Occasional Beatport releases, non-established or digital-only labels. Probationary status based onsales performance, involvement and loyalty to the Beatport network
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Daniel LaRusso wrote:just got this today from beatport... they have tier classification for labels:

Tier 1 Over 750+ downloads of each release in first week on average. Support and marketing on labelwebsite, most are working exclusively for a period of time and have solid Beatport promotions and partnerships with top 100 DJs / producers on their rosters.

Tier 2 Bi - monthly to monthly releases. Over 500+ downloads of each release in first week on average.Support and marketing on label website, solid Beatport promotions and up and coming recognizable artists/ DJs on rosters.

Tier 3 Occasional Beatport releases, non-established or digital-only labels. Probationary status based onsales performance, involvement and loyalty to the Beatport network
I think this is B.S, and totally similar to the powermove ebay are playing with their paypal rubbish. What a crock of sh!t, and I hope they suffer because of it. It's digital ffs, why impose such regulations? Not only that, but do beatport forget that they need producers more than producers need them? I mean talk about putting the cart before the horse... What hope does a Tier 3 label have of climbing out of that ghetto with rules like these?
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

On the moral level I agree with you. Beatport is a capitalist nightmare. But:
Not only that, but do beatport forget that they need producers more than producers need them?
When you control about 90% of the market, then every producer depends on you. You can't sell digital without beatport today. Beatport has worked itself into the digital sales monopoly, and those don't fall easy (see eBay, myspace... they all suck, but still no serious competition in sight).

Beatport is very well aware of their position and they just try to melk as much money out of it as possible. They can even dictate ridiculous contracts on the labels, as mentioned earlier. Unless some big labels start boycotting beatport and build up one (and only one!) serious competiting platform, things won't change, and beastport made pretty sure the big labels feel comfortable with them.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

kwality wrote:
Daniel LaRusso wrote:just got this today from beatport... they have tier classification for labels:

I think this is B.S, and totally similar to the powermove ebay are playing with their paypal rubbish. What a crock of sht, and I hope they suffer because of it. It's digital ffs, why impose such regulations? Not only that, but do beatport forget that they need producers more than producers need them? I mean talk about putting the cart before the horse... What hope does a Tier 3 label have of climbing out of that ghetto with rules like these?

Im pretty certain producers/labels need beatport rather beatport needing them. If this wasnt the case, Beatport would not be turning down labels left right and centre. We fit into tier 1+2 so I cant complain, but maybe the labels not getting on beatport or the ones falling into tier 3 need to address certain things and try and approach it at a different angle.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Beatport sound like a nightmare, total opposite of the roots of underground dance music or electronics (not that everyone aspires to this - if you don't , I'm not knocking you).

I've never dealt with them thankfully but those who do seem to find it quite pressurised and sales orientated.

It's a big cash cow/machine and anyone who remembers what happens when you saturate the market in this way will know what's going to happen next......

Prime is a good example...

Anyway - I don't think it's healthy in the long run, it's basically using the producers/labels as pieces of a big jigsaw puzzle that when assembled forms the message "all of your cash is belong to us k-thanx-bye"

music for music's sake - all the f@cking way !
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

alot of money made i've heard is from remixing, getting a lump of money upfront, say 250-300quid and gigging. unless your huge i doubt your gonna make huge amounts of money from track downloads!
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

::BLM:: wrote:
kwality wrote:

I think this is B.S, and totally similar to the powermove ebay are playing with their paypal rubbish. What a crock of sht, and I hope they suffer because of it. It's digital ffs, why impose such regulations? Not only that, but do beatport forget that they need producers more than producers need them? I mean talk about putting the cart before the horse... What hope does a Tier 3 label have of climbing out of that ghetto with rules like these?

Im pretty certain producers/labels need beatport rather beatport needing them. If this wasnt the case, Beatport would not be turning down labels left right and centre. We fit into tier 1+2 so I cant complain, but maybe the labels not getting on beatport or the ones falling into tier 3 need to address certain things and try and approach it at a different angle.
I can appreciate your point, and I'm happy for you about being in the top tiers, but I still maintain Beatport needs producers more than vice-versa. Without fresh music they're nothing more than a website with some flash and a shopping cart. I'll grant you that Beatport are turning down labels, but I think it's through arrogance really. Are they so brilliant that they can spot a future Tier 1 label from it's first release? Another way to look at it - will producers stop making music if Beatport shuts down? How about Beatport making money if producers stop making music?

I'm sure there are some labels that are languishing in tier 3 through their own failings, but I'm 100% certain that there are a lot that simply don't have the cash to throw at it, or have tight release policies. A label releasing 4 incredible records a year are likely to fall into that tier by virtue of their schedule. Not to mention that if there are already existing relationships with 'name' labels, what incentive does beatport have to help labels grow?

I think accepting their dominance is a little defeatist, especially when their dominance is based on some secrecy/ lack of education/ apathy from consumers. This thread has become a monster simply because so few people know much about the process/politics of beatport despite its ubiquity. As for there not being a better alternative, I think that's just a cop out. A digital store is a digital store. Personally I think juno works a lot better, and they've been servicing the electronic music community for a long time. I think the reason Beatport is so popular is because they've strongarmed the real people behind their success - if tier 1 labels told their customers that they were being manipulated by Beatport and that they should buy their music elsewhere I'm sure they would.

I don't dislike Beatport per-se, but I deeply resent anything that makes it easier for music to become homogenised, and these tier systems do exactly that. Sorry for the epic post, but this is a really important issue I think.