number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

But there's always an ebb and flow of monopolies. Ebay rules today, but it won't always be where people go to buy things.

I don't like the idea of a single store dominating, but ultimately it's up to us more than anyone else.
Daniel LaRusso
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Daniel LaRusso »

i buy at least 50 tunes a week off beatport, so i like to think i have provided some grease to this music machine. i tend to purchase tunes from producers and labels i've never heard of more than anything it seems. i love having people ask me to ID tunes i'm playing, and i found them buried on beatport! I have a small label on beatport and only have had one of our tunes ever chart, and it didn't produce very much cash in the end, i think it was only on the top 100 for about 2 or 3 days? But we've been happy nonetheless in just getting music out there, and its exciting to know that people are buying the tunes, especially when the tune charts.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Alphajuno wrote:I cant help but worry at the current state of the industry when such a large proportion of sales is happening at one outlet.

Or am i just being paranoid?
There's are also other stores that do well.
If you take all this English sounding electrohouse and pounding 'house' stuff, then these labels sell super good at djdownload. So it also depends on style and end-customer and so on.
jackyx
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackyx »

illegal downloads just get more and more, its to easy to get them in a good quality, it looks like lables are helpless about that. to be honest as a label id mark my promos in way beeing able to track down the source of leak :/

id love beeing able to buy from charts or any other kind of preselection but hell any1 charts crap imo =) and to be honest id chart some of my freinds stuff aswell ..

if u compare the genre charts with alltogether charts u see easily that there is a xponential curve in selling numbers.

would love to see a economic students diploma about selling numbers on beatport and how its impact of dj-charts or if its worth to invest money and force ur own track to be ontop of the charts :twisted:

if u want to make money u have to release trash anyway :(, listening to the beatport charts hurts my ears badly :/
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

^^^that was a typically 'it was better in the old days' post....
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

guess the question with digital and vinyl sales is: do I do it to make money or just for fun? Or both.
We do it for the fun of it, but that doesn't mean you don't have to try to take it serious and put all the effort in it that you can. Not for yourself, but for the artists you represent. So that's why we put in lots more money then we make, but at least we have a blast doing it. It's so much fun when you see that a track on your label has been charted by this or that dj, or if it has been played by your favourite artist, or if it hits the beatport chart. Nothing wrong with being proud :)

I think the days when you could make good money without making compromises are gone though (unless you're an established label that is). Either you release more commercial stuff or fork over money for famous remixers or you just stay happy with whatever you get along the way.
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

jackyx wrote: if u compare the genre charts with alltogether charts u see easily that there is a xponential curve in selling numbers.

would love to see a economic students diploma about selling numbers on beatport and how its impact of dj-charts or if its worth to invest money and force ur own track to be ontop of the charts :twisted:

i do understand why listeners buy of charts, but as a dj it's just lazyness. and i've also seen that by beeing charted by some big dj does improve sales. truesoul 16 as an example virtually didn't sell anything before adam put it on his chart, and it made it to the 13th spot on the techno charts.

on the other hand i'm really happy that my total departure remix made it into the top10 (techno) without beeing charted or featured with a banner.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

nihad wrote:i do understand why listeners buy of charts, but as a dj it's just lazyness.
I disagree... its called being resourceful. If you want to find out what the new heat is the charts a great way to find new stuff.

On top of it, as a dj its important to play what people are playing at the moment and charts are a great method to do that.

Now if you want to go do your own avant garde thing and crate digging too thats cool too. But don't disregard the value of the sharing hot tracks with the community.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest