detroit

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

(still haven't finished it but Im putting in my thoughts)

if I had to summarize: & : from my understanding..

I think the (term) techno came from juan atkins directly.... and spread..

people in detroit argued who was more techno... the big 3 were not from the ghetto as the story may claim..

perhaps they didn't have money but some went to well off schools at the time.

to say where (IT) came from * which is the main point of interest.. what is (it)..? - electronic : 4 x 4 beats - (started) ?

- you could go back to the 60's.. even before kraftwerk..

so this idea of: (it) "came from" - is a self righteous staple / everyone knows this.. it was worldly influenced decades before..

I think when juan first referred to techno it was actually his electro beats coming from his Cybotron projects.. in 82/83

the term (techno) was from juan atkins electro sounds which did start as a music staple for electronic music here in detroit.

but what people failed to give credit and closure to is the term:word (techno)

- did start here in detroit.

{the end}

:D
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I think that is the biggest blurred truth.

techno was actually describing electro - which does have detroit roots ...

people chime in with electronic genre came form here and there..

which is very general vs. electro which is very niche..

kinda like now detroit has booty all over it

spawning from electro.. it's a detroit thing.

apples / oranges comparison(s)

:)
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

john clees wrote:I think that is the biggest blurred truth.

techno was actually describing electro - which does have detroit roots ...
now that is an interesting thought... will have to reflect on your comments a bit. interesting stuff...

and it is quite appropriate that the 5th ssg mix is coming from a detroiter, luke hess!
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Luke Hess :arrow: 8) :idea:
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

A very refreshing discussion, I think. I´ve been reading on the myth and the people for several years from the net and through interviews because I´m of course interested in the roots of the music and I must say I was starting to feel very unsymphatetic for the Detroit heads for a while (mainly because I felt the people were mostly complaining about others not giving ENOUGH respect and mainly some of those Mad Mike comments) but this threeway article was a fresh read. Especially the third post from Thomas Cox made me think about the guys and athmosphere of Detroit in another way. The first two were more on the mindset that I had before towards Detroit.

I´m just trying to say that I have always respected Detroit and understood it´s influence but I never even thought that there was a "birthplace" for techno. To me it seems it was already happening all over. Now DETROIT TECHNO is another story with it´s own influences and sounds and vibes and the people around it. I don´t have a problem with the myth about Detroit Techno but to claim they "invented" TECHNO is a bit bogus but I can understand why they claimed it.

Whatever.
brownlow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brownlow »

Pink Floyd - On the Run!
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Sneaky wrote:visit detroit... then speak your mind
I havent dissed Detroit,I'd love to visit there...i was just sayin that it seems to get brought up every other day
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

kristofason wrote:i was just sayin that it seems to get brought up every other day
you are right - it is brought up regularly, but rarely actually discussed. that is what we were trying to open up space for.

and @ juhokusti: i have had a similar experience...