Pre Made Loops

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Bob Mulatu wrote:for me it's a difficult topic...i think presets should always be changed by the artist. i think it's a bit strange or even annoying to find exactly the same samples in different tracks by different artists...
i tend to think that when people use significant presets it's not about making music for them anymore...
using a familiar-sounding preset in a track is no more offensive than using a familiar-sounding instrument such as an acoustic guitar. imo
Bob Mulatu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bob Mulatu »

clubfoot wrote:
Bob Mulatu wrote:for me it's a difficult topic...i think presets should always be changed by the artist. i think it's a bit strange or even annoying to find exactly the same samples in different tracks by different artists...
i tend to think that when people use significant presets it's not about making music for them anymore...
using a familiar-sounding preset in a track is no more offensive than using a familiar-sounding instrument such as an acoustic guitar. imo
in my opinion it's not the same...samples can of course sound similiar but the arrangement shouldn't be the same...there is a huge difference to use the same guitar like jimi hendrix or to play the same notes and arrangements. people can come up with totally unique tunes with his guitar and it's the same with electronic music.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Outstanding post Torque. You articulated something personal and abstract, the purpose of music, in a meaningful way. Lovely.

Glad I found this forum, for sure.

Off to download some canned loops now.

Andrew.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

I agree 100%, Torque.

When I listen to a song, I have all kinds of reactions to it: Curiosity, appreciation, hatred... But that reaction is rarely "I have to figure out what techniques were used to make this song so I can determine if I like it or not." This reeks of those pitchforkmedia indiefucks who claim they "liked the band before they sold out" every time some obscure band manages to get on an Apple or VW commercial. What if they never knew about the commercial? What if you never recognized the loops? Why so much politics in music?

If you can recycle some pre-packaged, boring loops (and most of them are) into something awesome, then I have an equal amount of appreciation for your song as the guy who spent eight years at a university figuring out how to make an equally awesome song from scratch. Aside from their songs, though, I'd much rather sit down with the university guy and try to learn from his deeper wealth of knowledge.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Bob Mulatu wrote:
clubfoot wrote:
in my opinion it's not the same...samples can of course sound similiar but the arrangement shouldn't be the same...there is a huge difference to use the same guitar like jimi hendrix or to play the same notes and arrangements. people can come up with totally unique tunes with his guitar and it's the same with electronic music.
sorry mate - i thought you meant 'preset' as in 'synthesizer preset sound'. i now understand you meant pre-made loop as in 'someone elses sampling and/or sound design handed to you on a plate'. two very different things.
Bob Mulatu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bob Mulatu »

clubfoot wrote:
Bob Mulatu wrote:
clubfoot wrote:
sorry mate - i thought you meant 'preset' as in 'synthesizer preset sound'. i now understand you meant pre-made loop as in 'someone elses sampling and/or sound design handed to you on a plate'. two very different things.
i guess we were talking about two different things dude... it was a missunderstanding...i was talking about pre-made loops...but i think everybody should always try to give each sound a bit of a individual treatment (hope you know what i mean :D )
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hey Steevio, I meant no offence to you. It's easy to run away with debates at times and of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion. :)

People obviously have different opinions on this and I also mistook a lot of what you were saying as sampling in general.

I too aren't going to say much more on this as I just think it's something that's down to the individual. I have always wanted to create my own stuff and by and large, I do. ( At least now I am writing minimal type electronica )

I was a heavy sampler & Recycler of 'found' beats, ( I could never personally use musical material ) & I have never been one for using beats as they are either, or using beats right off a sample CD. The main reason is they would be available to anyone but also, I don't think I'd like people finding out either as people lose respect for you as an artist. Like I say though, when I was doing this, I was making Breakbeat. The minimal stuff for me, is more about sound creation rather than sampling.

I understand where you are coming from. Someone simply going out and buys some sample CD, gets it home, auditions loops and drags them onto the arrange page, hits render and says, "Hey, check this".....Is not making music. Well, they're not making their music, it's simply a 'paint by numbers' approach to arranging someone else's music.

I suppose there could be value in this for a beginner, or there might be value in it for a more seasoned producer who has simply hit a bit of a creative rut. A lot of ideas could be generated by doing something like that. Of course it would be far more creative and rewarding to take those ideas as inspiration and create sounds and riffs with themselves.

Peace.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Hey Steevio, I meant no offence to you. It's easy to run away with debates at times and of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion. :)

People obviously have different opinions on this and I also mistook a lot of what you were saying as sampling in general.

I too aren't going to say much more on this as I just think it's something that's down to the individual. I have always wanted to create my own stuff and by and large, I do. ( At least now I am writing minimal type electronica )

I was a heavy sampler & Recycler of 'found' beats, ( I could never personally use musical material ) & I have never been one for using beats as they are either, or using beats right off a sample CD. The main reason is they would be available to anyone but also, I don't think I'd like people finding out either as people lose respect for you as an artist. Like I say though, when I was doing this, I was making Breakbeat. The minimal stuff for me, is more about sound creation rather than sampling.

I understand where you are coming from. Someone simply going out and buys some sample CD, gets it home, auditions loops and drags them onto the arrange page, hits render and says, "Hey, check this".....Is not making music. Well, they're not making their music, it's simply a 'paint by numbers' approach to arranging someone else's music.

I suppose there could be value in this for a beginner, or there might be value in it for a more seasoned producer who has simply hit a bit of a creative rut. A lot of ideas could be generated by doing something like that. Of course it would be far more creative and rewarding to take those ideas as inspiration and create sounds and riffs with themselves.

Peace.
nice one mate, i wasnt offended, and i didnt mean to offend anyone.
the last two paragrphs of what you're saying was what i was saying, but without the northern twat spikes.

i started out with a sampler, and then i moved on to something different.
i still love the music i made with sampling.

i just like to see effort thats all, unfortunately it is easily possible to make a minimal techno tune with hardly any effort at all.

peace to you bruv.