Pre Made Loops

- ask away
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: I havnt got nothing against it; we live in a throw away society with throw away music.

Love the sarcasm. High five mate.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

thom wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: I havnt got nothing against it; we live in a throw away society with throw away music.

Love the sarcasm. High five mate.
:wink:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Dusk wrote:
The kids' whose summer was soundtracked by it are not going to lose those memories just because of how it was made. what matters is that it was made at all.
and of course you're right, sometimes i get too passionate about relatively unimportant bollox, i can assure you its only because i love this music so much, which is a good reason to keep my thoughts to myself.
i'm a party head like the rest of you guys.
sending out negative energies of any kind is bad form.

now i really am going to STFU.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:It fucks me off that my mate spends 5 secs getting his basic percussion together, all he needs is a hpf and hes done...

I havnt got nothing against it; we live in a throw away society with throw away music.
I often use pre made loops. I dont think one should go out and make a whole tune out of pre made loops, but something like a conga loop I would use because its a. not obvious and b. i love congas :P
what i was talking about was making whole tunes out of 'minimal techno loops vol 17' or using the basic starter loops that might come with software.
i thought that was what we were talkng about, if i've insulted anyone using a nice conga loop, it was never my intention.

ok now i'm going to STFU.
You seem like a sound guy so I didn't take offense.

I'm actually interested in whats sort of music i can come up with from only pre made loops as i find most of them pretty sh!t and i normally just take on hit out of them rather then using the whole thing.

I'm going to make a tune with just pre made loops....
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote: to Torque -
you are at the heart of the scene in detroit, you know all the guys, how would the guys who started it all feel about the idea of using pre-made loops off a CD mate ?
Back when it started there was no such thing as a sample cd. There were samplers and such and producers used to pull samples from music and use it all the time in their tracks. Allot of the synth sounds people used in Detroit were presets for their keyboards and such and you know what, those cats knew what to do with them too. One guy has even earned the superhero name "Captain Preset". It's never been about what you use as much as it is about how you use it. some people find joy in the mundane task of dialing in on a sound some people prefer to get all that out of the way and just make music. Only somebody that is doing this music to garner some sort of approval of someone else would even be worried about it. You got to make music because you love making music. The second anybody falls into traps like this that makes them think twice about something they're doing while in the process of making music is going to lose something in their music by diverting their own attention from the task at hand. The only thing that should matter to anybody is the music itself.

Honestly for me it's gotten to the point where i can't even tell you what i did to get a sound anymore, i just don't care enough about how i got there to pay attention to it. Making music should be a spiritual process, that's what it was designed for. It's your chance to call out to God and tell the truth, just like people were doing in caves banging on drums millions of years ago. It's counter productive to crowd your mind with concerns like these while in the process because the guy that doesn't will always have allot better time while doing it.

It's kind of like having sex. Do you really care where she learned to move like that? I don't know about you but i don't even want to know, i'd just rather enjoy it (just don't forget to wrap that sh!t up). Just like music, the freakier the better.
Last edited by Torque on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

On a sidenote,

i'm still getting most of the traffic hitting my dubtechno samplepack via this forum. That kinda correlates with the "public" opinion about readymade samples as presented in this thread.

Strange.
Always think twice.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ok ive been put firmly in my place on this subject, i had no idea how popular making minimal techno with loops that were made for you by someone else was on this forum. i don't actually know anyone who does this, everyone i know makes their music themselves, obviously some of them use sampled percussion loops etc, (most of them play their percussion in manually) but not everyone can afford to buy a set of conga's and a microphone, i was never at any time talking about that, or sampling breaks, so the problem was i missunderstood the term 'pre-made'.

so instead of dissing it , what i should have said was that 'i appreciate music that is made by musicians who have invested time into learning and perfecting their instruments'

that would have sufficed.

paz y techno.
Bob Mulatu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bob Mulatu »

for me it's a difficult topic...i think presets should always be changed by the artist. i think it's a bit strange or even annoying to find exactly the same samples in different tracks by different artists...
i tend to think that when people use significant presets it's not about making music for them anymore...