No music in this town..

- open
Taylor Norris
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Taylor Norris »

victorgonzales wrote: :edited:

I live in Indianapolis IN USA

Theres about 1 million people in this city and guess how many people will show up for a minimal techno night? About 20-50........

Then we have clubs....All the clubs play nothing but the cheesiest of electro house and top 40 nonsense you have ever heard. Shitty laptop djs getting booked just because they play all the britney spears (dont forget about Sandstorm) remixes and sht.

We have some house and breaks and drum and bass nights but they are all in tiny little bars that suck with shitty sound.

If you play minimal techno in one of the clubs the dancfloor clears.....If its not cheesy, full of anthems and familiar vst presets and going at a really fast bpm, the dancfloor clears.

1 MILLION FUCKING PEOPLE and noone has any musical taste. I dont really need to hear minimal everywhere but any good progressive or techno or even good ole house music would be such a breath of fresh air.

I would move in a heartbeat if all my sh!t wasnt here.
:werd:
Last edited by Taylor Norris on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Taylor Norris wrote:
victorgonzales wrote: :edited:

I live in Indianapolis IN USA

Theres about 781,870 people in this city and guess how many people will show up for a minimal techno night? About 20-50........

Then we have clubs....All the clubs play nothing but the cheesiest of electro house and top 40 nonsense you have ever heard. Shitty laptop djs getting booked just because they play all the britney spears (dont forget about Sandstorm) remixes and sht.

We have some house and breaks and drum and bass nights but they are all in tiny little bars that suck with shitty sound.

If you play minimal techno in one of the clubs the dancfloor clears.....If its not cheesy, full of anthems and familiar vst presets and going at a really fast bpm, the dancfloor clears.

781870 FUCKING PEOPLE and noone has any musical taste. I dont really need to hear minimal everywhere but any good progressive or techno or even good ole house music would be such a breath of fresh air.

I would move in a heartbeat if all my sht wasnt here.
:werd:
LOL Well Im not gonna move there then if I do move.
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

it's strange. it's as if i feel i can relate to this problem, although we have a great techno/mnml scene in seattle as far as shows, talent and crowd. one issue we do have, is a serious lack of places to do vinyl shopping. the local DJ store carries sht for techno but plenty of breaks, trance/prog and house. another store has a great selection but they don't have a listening station. even if they did, you can't open anything. i have to listen to beatport and such all day and remember it when i go shopping. fortunately for me on can shop online. for those of you with shitty scenes: keep your head up and trudge forward.
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Taylor Norris wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:
exactly - be smart and package the musical concept into something appealing for the social crowd.
Like minus and "The Cube"...? :roll:
Yes...lots of ppl paid $45 at the door in Detroit and the place was packed but I heard so many poor reviews on the music. I dont give a fck about the hype.

It IS ABOUT THE MUSIC for me.

I don't even know if the cube is at any extreme end of things, but is there no room for something n between?

which advances the music for you more, a pure and empty event or one where the same music is played but the event concept actually brought a few people out?

Stay a purist at home with nothing to do, i'd rather go out dancing to music i like...
freeeeeee
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people here have the same problem.
As a dj like myself and the most here on mnml.nl, it's almost impossible to adjust your style to a cheesy one for the crowd just to fill the place up.

Just to hear that you're a good dj because you played the tracks everybody hears/knows and likes! If you are a purist, you try to bring your passion to the crowd.. But the road is long.. So attrac people who are purists too.

But in a small town like where I live (26000) there are less purists..
So i'm fine with my own little parties where my friends come, some purists and some junkies..(honestly: I'm not, I want to spin on bigger gigs of course, where everybody goes wild!)that makes it 40 people. Where in a place 100 meters away, the cheesiness rules and the place is full of people.

But it's nice to gain respect to do it your own way and not to float on the same stream everybody does. Sometimes it makes it all worth.

It's not that you want to be different from the rest.. it's the love for the music that comes with the years. Imagine that the rest around you is not into the electronic music as you are.. except here on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ChqYvqU58

This was not a promotion post ;) And it's made by a "groupie"...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

so funny, people are talking here about small towns of 26000 people. In Belgium that's already a seriously nice city :lol: Think our biggest city (Antwerp?) has somewhat of 900000 people. Luckily a lot of them know how to party. If they aren't too busy sewing fancy clothes or getting their hair done. Hipster ville yes, but a cool version. :wink:
JBounce
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JBounce »

i live in Lithuania
city Kaunas
population ~400000
and there no where to listen minimal, and people who lives in my city its dont care there are about 50 people who like this kind of music, and who want to party by that music
Yes we have capital Vilnius ~600000 people
its one hour from kaunas, but still one good party in two month
and vilnius has a problem of party people, because they come to party not for partying, but just put check on calendar that they were there,and they left party when main dj end his set
its cool to be minimal :)
adelaideperson
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by adelaideperson »

the boys make a day trip to cronulla: