Synthesizing those lush techno chords...

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

aha right, i see... Mr Mountain People.

makes sense what you said then; one time whilst spinning Mountain People 04 (I think that's the number) a girl I know who was gettin' down in front of the DJ booth told me, "I wanna fck this song!!". perfect :P
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Almost any subtractive synth that offers 3 oscillators will work.

Ya just gotta set them to sawtooth, detune 2 of them by 7-9 cents from one another... use free running oscillator settings if possible. Drop the 3'rd one octave down and work on the mix to get it as "heavy" as you want.

Now play with the amp envelope and filter envelope, typically using a slower attack on the amp and an open decay, sustain, and a slightly open release. The filter env is tricker, as its whats going to give you the swell that you want. Adjust the attack to get it to rise as quickly as you want (or as slowly), and then open the decay enough to introduce as much sustained buzz as you want in the sound. Now you can play with the cutoff and reso throughout the track to give it live and movement.

After this you can add delay and run some of that delay into a reverb. In Logic I do this by sending some of the sound to an aux with a stereo delay on it, and then using a send on the aux to run some of the delay into a reverb... sounds noYce!!!!

You can also add phasers and flangers, they seem to work well to move the sound. Chorus for some reason (the Logic one anyway) muddies things up for me, but try it! You never know til you hear it.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I appreciate the help.

Just to clarify though, it's not as much the chords themselves that are giving me the trouble (the notes being stacked, and the envelopes), it's that I've been trying to find those specific sounds.... the tones of them, if you will. I hear that sort of sound all the time in various techno and tech/deep house tracks. Funk D'Void is very keen on them, and so is Conforce.

Using saw waves on the oscilators seems to be a step in the right direction, but I feel like there's got to be some certain method (or instrument, maybe) that does it, since I hear these sounds from various producers a lot.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

put a sample up
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I put a few up before (but apparently, this board's color scheme doesn't really make embedded links stand out very well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6g2SUjySc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Peo4NqImF0

http://www.record-case.de/frames/play.a ... =819380025
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

In the Conforce track, itt sounds like it has a bit of a filter plugin on it, I'd go with a wah effect of an 'auto filter'. The synth sounds like saws & pulse through a BP filter ( that's the *trick* here I think, the filtet type )

You don't say what you are actually using, I think you could make them on just about any subtractive style synth to be honest. But if you haven't used Reaktor yet, you'd find plenty of stuff with this type of filter sound in ensembles like Carbon.

The others, well they all sound different to me, probably made on a number of things, you don't need anything special at all. You'd make a great deal of cool stabs with some freeware too, try PolyIblit and TB4005.

There's a sweet sounding filter on the freeware CM101 - the synth on the computer music magazine disk. If you use Reason, you have Thor which can do them, you could use a LP24 filter for the 1st filter and then stick a BP filter on the master filter section, or the other way around. I think a combination of those 2 filter types should get you close to the Conforce track sound anyway ( that and an auto filter type thing )
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

AK: I'm using Logic 8 with all its standard plugins, plus FM8 and Massive. And those freeware synths look interesting, thanks.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Sorry, you did say what you were using. I am blind.