An interesting Challenge

- ask away
ulterior
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ulterior »

Atheory wrote: i don't think daft punk have released a lisetenable record in over 12 years.
make love :lol:
I know that you are trying to disconnect me
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

None of you guys have anything mainstream there. That Catz Whiskers track is underground.

I have a fair few early things I did which I would define as commercial, then I got into Breakbeat and now Techno / minimal. Here's an MP3 of 2 track snippets, there's no way on earth I am posting the full things.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lohw9kjvocj
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Just got me thinking about what makes something sound commercial / mainstream...

I think for me, it has a lot to do with the musical phrases and chords progressions. Sounds that come right off a synth as they are, can also lend to an 80's synthesizer thing which may be seen as commercial - but that's not really always the case as many guys write electronica using synths and it doesn't sound mainstream at all.

Maybe it's how you write the stuff? Like using a straight up melody over a series of chords or something. I'm at a loss with this as to how to describe it, yet I know instantly how to make something more underground or how to make something 'pop-like'.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

AK wrote:Just got me thinking about what makes something sound commercial / mainstream...

I think for me, it has a lot to do with the musical phrases and chords progressions. Sounds that come right off a synth as they are, can also lend to an 80's synthesizer thing which may be seen as commercial - but that's not really always the case as many guys write electronica using synths and it doesn't sound mainstream at all.

Maybe it's how you write the stuff? Like using a straight up melody over a series of chords or something. I'm at a loss with this as to how to describe it, yet I know instantly how to make something more underground or how to make something 'pop-like'.
what is commercial / mainstream is kind of undefinable cause it changes with peoples tastes. any popular "underground" sound soon gets filtered into pop music, so its hard to say. "underground" is obviously still a demographic that buys as ridgidly and predictably as teenage girls do though.

i suppose "commercial" dance music can be indexed to mass produced and commercial products.....cheap, temporary, exploitative. probably went a bit far with all that actually.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Most commercial music is extremely well produced imo, really....it is...
michielwijnen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by michielwijnen »

I think in some cases the commercial music buisness is a hardcore world and you really have to stand out to get there with your music, even if it is commercial as hell...

and I think that many commercial producers really have to think there music true (not all of them off course) or they will soon be out of the picture...

or u need the right people...

For a DJ who spins all the well known songs it's probably easier to get loads of bookings in the surrounding area, but that is something else I guess
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

You need a few aliases that's all then you are 'allowed' to make shitty tracks... :D

Atheory: I think you are right there. It's a funny thing and I don't know if I can put my finger on it. I can say though, that coming from a background of keyboard playing, I naturally find it easy to fall into the 'cheezy' slot and use chords and scales that are very 'commercial'.

My darker stuff is very dark ( I have a few tracks I wish to run past you guys now as I haven't been making minimal long ) but old habits die hard and when you play keys, it's hard to play to people without using what I consider 'musical familiarity' for non 'joe public', I-IV-V and variations of are common theme, perfect cadences and pentatonic melodies are simply what you get used to. It's nice to be able to have freedom of expression whereby you are not too worried about the target audience, expecting that they will appreciate something a little more dissonant or even atonal, or at least partially.

It took me a while to break out of that type of mould though due to my habits, after being in a couple of bands and then making breakbeat I gradually drifted into a more jazzier / experimental style of composition. I don't know if anyone can share what I am trying to say but it's like taking what you learned and then unlearning it all over.

Horrible really because it's like you have been musically brainwashed. :cry:
ed-
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ed- »

'mainstream' dance producers have as much skill as 'underground' dance producers, in fact they are sometimes the same people, like mr. oizo. check the sounds in that 'wearin my rolex' wiley track, they are fat. the track is crap because its a dodgy mix of pop-hop and electro, the engineering is still quality.