Knowing your music!?

- open
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

if everybody knew their tracks and mixed perfectly, it would be fakin boring. for me, there´s gotta be that "chance" happening to make things more interesting. and please, don´t bother practising mixing certain records together at home and then go and play them at a club, people can smell bullshit when it´s handed to them.

technical practising = good, overdoing it = not good.
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

juhokusti wrote:if everybody knew their tracks and mixed perfectly, it would be fakin boring. for me, there´s gotta be that "chance" happening to make things more interesting. and please, don´t bother practising mixing certain records together at home and then go and play them at a club, people can smell bullshit when it´s handed to them.

technical practising = good, overdoing it = not good.
i agree with the 2nd half of this 110%!!! i can't think of any better way to make a crowd obsolete. you might as well put on your demo or better yet, DJ live from your bedroom via 56k.
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

aut.t.n wrote:
Dragonsand wrote:I just buy what I really really like only, I capture the soul of what I buy, and it's printed in my mind forever.
taken as an advice, this is a really valuable statement.
yup. that's the way it really is.

... and that's what a whole wave of new generation dj's are gonna miss out on, y'know, just buying stuff that's up on beatport. that's what gets partly killed by those DJ charts. When I was buying vinyl, up until 18 months ago when I left the UK, by the time I got hold of a 12" I would often know the track pretty well through the research and track-down process. Made those tracks all the more special. And made me very selective also.

every time I've asked a DJ playing from CD, "what's this choon playing?" - they can't answer until the CD is ejected. I'm quite often the same when playing from CD the stuff I found and bought from beatport.
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

if you know the tracks too much you can't improvise! I think its most fun when u select tracks that u like, but that you have not played alot of times yourself. That way its fun to mix for yourself + you can improvise, looping records , adding fx etc to make the records you're mixing fit together.

just my 2 cents
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

^^
well you can turn that around and say: if you know the tracks well, you can improvise..
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

habitueE wrote:^^
well you can turn that around and say: if you know the tracks well, you can improvise..
agreed
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

if u dont know your tracks ur just not listening to them enough. i think u should know the tracks you play pretty well as this allows u to know what will work well when playing in a club and you will be able to improvise much better if you know your tracks well. agree that u shouldnt over plan a set because you have to play to suit the vibe of the club and not just what you practised at home.

saying that if you know the tracks too well, then you cant improvise, couldn't be further from the truth.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

mattburns wrote:if u dont know your tracks ur just not listening to them enough. i think u should know the tracks you play pretty well as this allows u to know what will work well when playing in a club and you will be able to improvise much better if you know your tracks well. agree that u shouldnt over plan a set because you have to play to suit the vibe of the club and not just what you practised at home.

saying that if you know the tracks too well, then you cant improvise, couldn't be further from the truth.
true. I meant that it´s good to know your tracks but there´s a fine line when you´re overdoing it. I know most of my tracks pretty well and know how the breakdown is going to be but there´s always some tracks in the sets that I don´t know so well and I like that, because it kinda keeps me on my toes a bit more plus it´s superfun to have that element of getting into something and not knowing how it´s gonna end up. You know, taking chances.