liveset with just a drummachine

- ask away
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

hey meffeo, that's weird, it shoudl work here. What error do you get?
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SomeoneWhoIsntMe »

listened to one of the links, and I really like this project. can definately feel the closer to the edit influence, and that's not a bad thing in my opinion. people say that it's sound is 'dated', but I love it.

an idea, if you have serato, you can record the machinedrum loops into your computer and spin them with serato. if I recall correctly, that's how richie hawtin made closer to the edit (except back in the day he had final scratch).
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

Hey, I listened to your latest finally and really liked it. I think that the whole scene is full of random-knob twiddling crap that has no connection to the minimal aesthetic at this point, and I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear music that actually keeps it simple without randomly changing bleeps and blips (which can be good but usually aren't) all over the place. To me this is the epitome of minimal dance music. Keep it up! :)
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

very glad you like it leon neon. Funnily, I'm working on a new set that will be all "current" minimal, with all the bloopy stuff in the background that I admit I'm doing quite randomly. To me, all that current minimal stuff sounds VERY baroque, sounds change all the time, all those little ornaments and things everywhere (but I must admit I like it quite much). So maybe the new stuff will be a bit offputting to you, but I think it's a phase I want to go through :) I now have the feeling that I can build a strong foundation without too much search, so I will use that.
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

Well, do what you want. I don't always hate bloops, it's just that most producers make tracks that don't even sound good, so why bother with all the noodling? In your case I'm sure the bloops will be good, so I'm not worried.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

big big up wesen the set is really nice

expecially considering -if I understood correctly- that you are into techno since relatively short time!

I like the vibe of it, very fresh and not too standard mainstream minimaltechno, nice one!

I'm impressed by the variety of sounds you get out of it, makes me happy since I ordered a MD a few weeks ago. I bought a monomachine last november and I am very happy with the elektron concept of it, can't wait to get the MD UW to get more crazyness.

keep up the good work and keep on posting your sets!

all the best
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

been meaning to get around to listening to your set, really like it on first listen.
get the tunes out there.
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

thx for the kind comments people. If you have critical feedback, it's very welcome as well. For my part I have:

- too much amplitude modulation (i overdid i think cause it was the only twaeking i could really make out on the monitors)
- need to do bigger buildups that make the crowd go wild (the kind of the one at the end with the dii duuu diii duu diizizizii dudzizizzzu dziiziiiiiiiiii BANG)

on the aesthetics side:

- do a shuffly pumping minimal set (working on it currently)
- work on automating the reverb and doing reverb effects (dunno if that will go well with the MD)

Else I think i'm really starting to hit the boundaries of the Machinedrum, I will have a look at my finances to see if I can afford a second hand monomachiine to complement it maybe).

At the moment I'm working on some shuffle minimal stuff using loops recorded from the MD, i'm not there yet, but I will keep you people on this forum updated.