[mnml] music and fashion - how much do they belong together?

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

patrick bateman wrote:
pantycontrol wrote:me on a friday. night.Image

no need to dress up cause it doesn't make me a better/cooler DJ but i am a believer in fashion as art. that being said, it just goes hand in hand. it always has and always will whether it's relevant to music or not. i believe the fashion is what makes it "scene". too bad.

btw...lets see some action shots of you.
But you are dressed up.....
exactly, that cheecky tee, that hat, the tattoos, the oh so obvious cadenza and minus record sleeves on the background.

You hipster.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: But you are dressed up.....
exactly, that cheecky tee, that hat, the tattoos, the oh so obvious cadenza and minus record sleeves on the background.

You hipster.
That is exactly what I mean, so wrong to say that is not dressed up.
Not that I care, I think it follows hand in hand more or less.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Castronova wrote: Also, for those who say that they don't really dress up:
What is your solution for going to clubs where you may not be let inside based on how you look?
I generally don't go to those clubs. I find clubs that have a strict dress/style code tend to cater to crowds that I dont enjoy the vibe of. I'd rather goto some dingy-basement bar that some smaller promoters are throwing a party in with a crowd that is there for the music and not to be 'seen'.

If its a DJ I /really/ like, I may bend towards the style code a bit more than normal. ie: nicer shoes and pants, but I wont go all out or buy a new outfit for it.

Thankfully, more often than not - techno doesnt get booked in 'style code' clubs in Toronto.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Ciaran_ wrote:i understand when said that you shouldn't follow 'the scene' rather than the music itself, although is it following 'the scene' when you follow fashion?
in berlin, it is definitely not. The fashionista force goes out to a variety of types of events.

it doesnt really bother me one way or another. If there is one thing that is better than every head at the party being 100 percent into the music, it is definitely that a few people are having sex after the party. The 2 are not mutually exclusive, but in a way they are, lol.
freeeeeee
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Der geile Ami wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:i understand when said that you shouldn't follow 'the scene' rather than the music itself, although is it following 'the scene' when you follow fashion?
in berlin, it is definitely not. The fashionista force goes out to a variety of types of events.

it doesnt really bother me one way or another. If there is one thing that is better than every head at the party being 100 percent into the music, it is definitely that a few people are having sex after the party. The 2 are not mutually exclusive, but in a way they are, lol.
I dont think there is anything wrong with looking good, or making an effort when you go out. When else can you? I wouldn't say that I am a 'scenester' or a 'fashionista' although i do own a deep v-neck and skinny jeans lol... and I am into the music as much as (if not more) than the next person

Sex after a night out is always a bonus!
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

patrick bateman wrote:
PsyTox wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: But you are dressed up.....

You hipster.
That is exactly what I mean, so wrong to say that is not dressed up.
Not that I care, I think it follows hand in hand more or less.
i love that my clothes are "dressed up hipster".:lol: i made that shirt with acrylic paint as a joke and that's a baseball hat from my hometown. anyways, here's what a "hipster" really looks like where i'm from...

totally guilty with the cadenza/minus records though.:lol:
if an old t-shirt and my favorite hat is too "dressed up" maybe i'll wear something like this next time...

"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Castronova wrote: Also, for those who say that they don't really dress up:
What is your solution for going to clubs where you may not be let inside based on how you look?
There is a science to this method. Make sure your comfortable clothes are clean looking, at least, without rips, holes, tears, etc. Trainers/sneakers should be dark in color (including the soles). Keep the door person's attention on you, your smile, & your positive attitude. That way, you won't get busted wearing the 'wrong attire'.

Another trick I used at a club I went to a while back is the door switch. The only dress code issue that I've had problems with are the no sneakers/trainers rule. I can usually pass by using the previously mentioned methods. However, sometimes it doesn't work. However, there is a solution. Provided there is a seperate door for re-entry. Go through the main entrance with your typical black leather shoes. Pay, get stamped, banded, etc. Leave & change shoes. Come back but go through another entrance. Usually, the door person at the re-entry door could care less what you're wearing because they assume your attire already passed the scrutiny of the main door people. If no seperate re-entry door, then go back through the main entrance, swiftly, but try & pass by a different door person, other than the one who originally let you in. 8)
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

that seems like allot of hassle just to wear sneakers in a club.
I also cant figure out if you guys are being sarcastic and taking the piss out of pantycontrol or not. Does one need to be sporting a potato sack and unwashed hair to not be 'dressed up' or something?