liveset with just a drummachine

- ask away
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

Hey people, it's been a long time, but I took a 3 months pause form music and my MD. I had to play a set last week, so I sat down for 2 days and made a new liveset, which ended up quite short cause the line up was crammed, but it turned out quite nice.

Because of the short timelength I didn't get to playthe proper banging stuff I had prepared, so it's all quite chilly. As always, just the Machinedrum straight into the PA. The PA sounded very nice, but the bass buildup in the DJ booth was so bad I could not really make out what I was doing, and had to fake it a lot of the time (and skip a lot of opportunities to tweak sounds a bit more). People really enjoyed it, dancing and screaming all along, and I'm starting to get confident working the club crowd behind my drum machine :)

http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/wesen-stfu-marseille.aif.mp3

In the next set I'll add a laptop though to have a bit of an easier job for atmospheres and buildups.
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

Hey, glad things are still going well for you. Instead of a laptop, maybe consider using a small hardware sampler. Laptops are a pain in the ass and crash all the time, plus people get more excited with three (still using that synth?) pieces of hardware than one or two pieces of hardware and a comp. I'll check out the set in the next few days. Any progress on making some tracks to release?
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

Hey,

yeah thinking about the laptop, it will definitely need some work. I think people don't care about whatever you use, 99.99% of the people dancing think I'm just djing stuff anyway :) I'm just too lazy and too broke to go out and buy records and listen to them.

I will definitely try to do a few proper releases soon, because I feel quite confident in my sets now, I can play them for long and build up the tension as I want to. And without releases I don't think I'll be able to get any proper booking, so stay tuned :)

Cheers, manuel
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Hey Wesen, I'm interested, I couldn't get the MP3 entitled 'edinburgh-kind-of' and IO'm wondering why you've called it that :)

I couldn't get the MP3 so I was hoping you could explain.

The only reason I ask is because I'm from Edinburgh, and there used to be what people called an Edinburgh/Brighton sound : Neil Landstrumm, Tobias schmidt , Christian vogel, Tubejerk etc, it's a very distinct sound obviously but most people now refer to it as 'wonk'.

Anyway - I'm checking your latest MP3 also as I seen 'stfu' in the title, and I'm wondering also if that refers to the little festival called stfu that's been going on.

I played at one in Edinburgh last year and met loads of lovely people , so I'm just wondering If it's a similar thing in France.

Anyway - good luck with your exploits, I've played many live sets with just a QY700, oldstyle electribe and some effects and it's always a sh!t load of fun and a lot more responsive than using a laptop.

I tend to use a laptop more now as it suits what I do more but there's nothign like playing the hardware to make you feel like a man (or a woman) heheh

peace-oot :)
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

Hey AVX, edinburgh-kind-of is the set I played at stfu edinburgh last year :) So I'm sure we have met. I was the guy with the weird bubble and lines tatoos :) Forget about the set though, I moved quite a lot away from that one.

Cheers, manuel
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

wow - small world mate - we probably did meet - I was playing as Isodyne/Patrick Walker, but I had to leave quite sharpish as I flew to Spain directly after the gig so I never got time to talk properly to people and collect emails etc to keep in touch with folk.

That was a nice wee gig , I liked how people were all sitting around on couches and listening as opposed to just munting around and posing :) heheh

I checked out the more recent sets and thought you had some lovely sounds in there, I dunno If that's the Nord doing all the chordy sounds, but it sounds pretty lush :)

Keep up the good work mate !
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

No nord on most sets, everything should be samples on the MD except the obvious acid basslines in the set from athens (dunno if I posted that one here). The marseille one is just MD straight into the PA, no mixer or whatever.
meffeo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by meffeo »

@ Wesen:

I'm curious about it, but the link doesn't work.. :(
..keep the underground alive..

- myspace -